• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 12:21 PM

anyone have any ideas to convert the sears 3 point hitch to a powered lift? Thinking of using electric actuator, seems simplest...

What would I need to do, to convert it to power lift? What would I need for material?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,530 Thanks
  • 44,981 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 03:12 PM

Need to see what you are working on! I have a 108 that I am close to making hydraulic lift!

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,295 Thanks
  • 5,990 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 03:21 PM

I used a power steering pump, a valve and a small cylinder. All suff  I had on hand. Works great and lifts a lot of weight. 

An electric actuator would work also. Had a Simplicity with electric lift and it worked really well. Nice thing about electric is you can lift the implement without the engine running and when starting in cold weather it isn't putting any load on the engine like a hydraulic pump does. 

• pharmer, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 870 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 03:32 PM

I used a power steering pump, a valve and a small cylinder. All suff  I had on hand. Works great and lifts a lot of weight. 
An electric actuator would work also. Had a Simplicity with electric lift and it worked really well. Nice thing about electric is you can lift the implement without the engine running and when starting in cold weather it isn't putting any load on the engine like a hydraulic pump does.

What kind of power steering pump ?
  • toppop52 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,530 Thanks
  • 44,981 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 03:53 PM

GM power steering pumps work good for these!

• boyscout862, Sawdust, toppop52 and 1 other said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Boughten lifts have a spring or other movement mechanism to allow a little play in lift, so not to damage it. Sears has those now available and maybe you can go to thee parts site and see what is involved with mounting and copy.  You will need good power wire, not too thin, and a switch that is momentary contact with off in middle so it operates then is in N when you release. No toggle switches then.  What's wrong with the good old hand lever? Those can be bent, added too, or whatever to make them clear fenders/seats and such w/out changing anything else on the hitch. If such thing as you can't lift it that way, then maybe the implement you are trying to use is too much for the tractor.  I think electrics are sort of limited on the weight they can lift too.

#7 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 05:55 PM

Need to see what you are working on! I have a 108 that I am close to making hydraulic lift!

Just a plain old sears 3 point hitch on a roper rt16

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 06:35 PM

Why put an light duty electric 12 V winch on the tractor to do the lifting.  Have one from HF on the back of a G16XL, cable end attached to the tractor frame and run through a pulley on the hitch.  Works good but have to watch so not to lift it to high.  Working on a horn alarm system now for that.

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:10 PM

Boughten lifts have a spring or other movement mechanism to allow a little play in lift, so not to damage it. Sears has those now available and maybe you can go to thee parts site and see what is involved with mounting and copy. You will need good power wire, not too thin, and a switch that is momentary contact with off in middle so it operates then is in N when you release. No toggle switches then. What's wrong with the good old hand lever? Those can be bent, added too, or whatever to make them clear fenders/seats and such w/out changing anything else on the hitch. If such thing as you can't lift it that way, then maybe the implement you are trying to use is too much for the tractor. I think electrics are sort of limited on the weight they can lift too.

Nothing is wrong with the hand lever... the guy operating has to put some effort to it, so he decided to work smarter not harder...
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 192 Thanks
  • 145 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:57 PM

Why put an light duty electric 12 V winch on the tractor to do the lifting.  Have one from HF on the back of a G16XL, cable end attached to the tractor frame and run through a pulley on the hitch.  Works good but have to watch so not to lift it to high.  Working on a horn alarm system now for that.

That's what I use, one for a Johnny bucket type front end loader, and one for lifting implements on the back.  All run off of a car battery on the back.

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,295 Thanks
  • 5,990 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:59 PM

GM power steering pumps work good for these!

That's true but I happened to have a Nissan pump on hand so that's what I used. I was using the hand lift but when using a rear mounted gas powered tiller that's a lot of weight. Now all I do is lift a small lever and up it comes. 

Why not put an light duty electric 12 V winch on the tractor to do the lifting.  

This is how I raise and lower the 4 foot snow blower on the Kubota and it works good. another very viable option.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Sears made a 12-volt actuated three point.
  • Cvans and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#13 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 09:12 PM

post 8

chieffan...Working on a horn alarm system now for that...

you could use a small switch with a relay, basically like the clutch switch, (NC - normally closed), to de-energize your power circuit, makes it "automatic" then, unless you just want the BEEEEPPPP...
don't use a seat safety, (NO - normally open), do-able, but more complicated to wire,
AND, don't use a starter solenoid as the relay, they're NOT meant for 100% duty cycle, will burn-up pretty quick

I like using a winch, simple, quick, easy, 
AND, if you find it pulls "tooo fassttt" - you can just add a snatch-block, cuts the take-up speed in half with 1, or use 2 and really SLOOWWW it down...

the nice thing about using a winch is the $$$price$$$, 
check 'em out at harbor freight, versus an electric actuator, 
priced a 1000# actuator, 'bout fell out of my chair,  :D
think I paid about $50 for 2500# winch, 

but if you already have an actuator, by all means, use that
or if like Cvans and you have some hydraulic parts, then use them

many have done a project like this here on the forum, a quich search will bring up a bunch of ideas

• Cvans, toppop52 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#14 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 10:11 PM

how about what roper really used?

Attached File  Roper_TA157AR_Hitch-3pt_wElecActuator.pdf   1.23MB   29 downloads

and,

Kenny, if this isn't on the site, go ahead and put it where it needs be...

Edited by daniel_b, May 29, 2017 - 10:12 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,530 Thanks
  • 44,981 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 06:55 AM

I uploaded it in the manuals section here.

• Sawdust, Greasy6020 and secondtry have said thanks