14 replies to this topic

#1 nathanielperz OFFLINE  

nathanielperz
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67380
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hi, I just recently picked up a WD2-1000 that's seized. I am in the process of unseizing it but I'm going to need to get all new gaskets. Can anyone tell me what the best place to find parts for this engine is?

Thanks in advance,
Nate

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,800 Thanks
  • 986 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 10:47 AM

Unfortunately parts are NLA including gaskets, extensive internet searches, go to part guys, and several old dealers netted zilch, sorry. If LP Bolens doesn't see this post you can PM him , I believe he put a new crank in one awhile ago, maybe he sourced some gaskets. Good luck with your endeavor.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 15,432 Thanks
  • 18,284 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 11:20 AM

As wrenchingonit said just about all parts are NLA for this series, the only thing I carry any more are the air filters, everything else has been discontinued for years and most sources are dried right up.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,374 Thanks
  • 7,118 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 11:30 AM

You can buy gasket material in sheets.  Plumb make a nice little gasket hammer that will mark the edges and holes real nice.  Hole punch set and good scissors and your back in business.  Might get by by re-using the head gasket if not destroyed.  Good luck.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,158 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 11:52 AM

I made a head gasket for a Korean diesel from copper shim stock. Worked fine but takes very careful torque procedure. Don

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,084 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 12:10 PM

secondtry is rite use a soft copper sheeting for your head gaskets or anything that may get hot, shim stock works ok but is a bit harder than I like.  just be carefull about the thickness, you can change the compression ratio pretty quickly that way.

Pete

• boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,556 Thanks
  • 9,431 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 06:05 PM

Welcome to GTT. Try fleamarkets and Epay. Two years ago at a Tractor Swap Meet there was a guy who cleanned out the back of the family barn. There were boxes of NOS Wisconsin engine parts. Someone ahead of me grabbed most as I walked up. Try your local NAPA and any old dealers that are around. You never know what they have stored away. Good Luck, Rick

#8 jelkjer1 OFFLINE  

jelkjer1
  • Member No: 87194
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 11:49 AM

I have a complete wd2-1000 that was running when put away in my garage 15years ago.  Was saving it for a project but never got around to it.  I can't see me using it anytime in the near future so I could sell it whole if anyone wanted it?  Justin

#9 nathanielperz OFFLINE  

nathanielperz
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 02:56 PM

Hello everyone thank you all for the responses! I managed to get it unseized today. Does anyone have a pdf copy of the service manual for that engine?

Thanks, Nate

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,949 Thanks
  • 47,132 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 02:59 PM

Would this 'work shop manual' work?

#11 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,270 Thanks
  • 3,333 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 12:12 PM

I am in the process of unseizing it but I'm going to need to get all new gaskets.
Thanks in advance,
Nate

Felpro does offer sheets of gasket material that can be used to cut new gaskets from - other gasket manufacturers probably do as well - you should be able to get the material at a local auto parts store. Part # 2498 is shown as a gasket material suitable for head gasket applications.  Attached are jpegs of two pages that show the various gasket materials that they offer - they do list a product that is suitable to be used for head gaskets.  What some people will do is draw an outline of the head gasket including hole locations on a piece of plywood - then clamp the gasket material between it and another piece of plywood and drill the hole locations.  You can also drill starter holes where holes for the combustion chamber will have to be cut out.  Then the gasket material can be cut with aviation snips.  Just a suggestion if you cannot find gaskets. 

Here is a link to the part # on the Federal Mogul web site - http://www.fme-cat.c...ials&brandId=FL

You could email their tech department if you needed more information.

Attached Thumbnails

• FELPRO Catalog Page 1298.jpg
  • FELPRO Catalog Page 1300.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, December 29, 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#12 nathanielperz OFFLINE  

nathanielperz
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 09, 2018 - 11:36 PM

Thank you guys!
Those will definitely be extremely helpful!

-Nate

#13 nathanielperz OFFLINE  

nathanielperz
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 01:40 PM

So the only reason the motor was siezed was because the flywheel rusted to the stator, the stator is shot but thats not really a big deal since it only charges the battery. I could put a small belt driven alternator on it in the future if i wanted. But i did open up the crank case just to make sure everything was okay inside. The inside was perfect until the mice ate through my covers and got inside so it now needs a good cleaning. Does anyone have an owners manual or an operators manual that i could look at? 

-Nate

#14 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,270 Thanks
  • 3,333 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 01:54 PM

There are copies of the parts and workshop manual in the  Manuals section - do you have them yet?

http://gardentractor...orkshop-manual/

http://gardentractor...000-parts-list/

You could send a PM to member LPBolens and see if he has a copy of an owners manual if these won't tell you what you need to know.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#15 nathanielperz OFFLINE  

nathanielperz
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 02:40 PM

I had the workshop manual but not the parts list. I was looking for the operators manual just to read up on it more.

Thanks!

-Nate