• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RayRay 5 OFFLINE  

RayRay 5
  • Member No: 87077
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 06:40 AM

Very new to this forum. I just picked up a GT17 that is in excellent condition.  I am trying to adjust the steering i.e. the steering wheel does not turn all the way to the left so that the steering stop is not met.  As a result I have a wider turning radius turning to the left than the right.  The manuals only go over how to adjust for steering play.  The manual does say if it does not turn all the way contact the Ariens dealer.  Does anyone know how to adjust the steering so the wheel turns all the way as it should?

Thanks much

Ray

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,133 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 07:31 AM

I found on a Bolens XL that the curved gear was not centered with the steering shaft gear with the wheels straight forward.  Had to move it 2 teeth.  You might look at that on yours.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,183 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 08:48 AM

Welcome to GTT. Chieffan has probably hit the nail on the head. When some steering gears wear they can "jump". Check for all of the Atiens Manuals in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,841 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 11:07 AM

that doesnt sound like the system that Ariens used, they have a Ross steering box like Deere and Cub cadet on that model.

What Chief is talking about sounds more like the Ariens YT that I have than a GT series machine.

Other than the S16h (same chassis as your GT series) that I am currently messing with between Cub Cadets/ that had a locked up bearing on the steering cross shaft that protrudes thru the frame/ I haven't had to do much with the steering on these models. There is an adjustment for the slop but as installed in the tractor it's a pain to try and get to. I have the whole  steering setup out of that S16 right now, read to go back in but have not had much time to do so.... I did have the steering gear/column apart on that one, and found the typical worn out steering adjustment bolt... grooves worn into the tapered part of the adjuster which I dressed out on a bench grinder. but the issue that I had,  has nothing to do with the range of motion issue that you are talking about.

I don't think they did on the GT17, but I know that my GT19 has power steering/ it was only on 2 models, the other one besides the GT19 was either the GT18 or GT20 I forget which.... may have been optional on the 17s?

I have been on a Cub forum quite a bit lately....  (tractors that is, I hate the baseball team by that name/ on account of being closer to the "other" side of Chicago ha ha ha) and I see it mentioned in there in a few places,  that the steering was biased to have a tighter turning radius one way than the other.... as I remember they said biased tighter to the left so that you don't blow all the clippings towards the unmowed area, making the tractor work harder,,, but that sucks if you have to mow up against obstacles/ being that you usually have the chute facing away from those so that you can mow closer....

Being that the Cubs got their steering box from the same company as what Ariens used on their machines.... maybe they are designed the same but "biased" to turn tighter the other way? 
I never knew that the Cubs were made that way either til I saw it on the forums....

otherwise check the steering tube that supports the axle in the frame, or maybe a bent spindle???

That would be a separate issue from the sloppy steering issue for sure.

The steering box on that S16 is the 1st time that I had ever been into one of these steering boxes, was nowhere near as "bad" as I thought it might be. but now that I have done that one and got it nice and tight, slop is gone, now I'm gonna have to mess with all of them.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 28, 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#5 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,464 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 11:35 AM

Welcome to the forum Ray. I cant help much with Ariens Except to refer you to the manuals section of the forum. Second tab from the left top of this page. Wander around the forum for a bit you may find something. Being a holiday in the US may make a difference in the response time, Don't get discouraged. Don  

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,980 Thanks
  • 5,035 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 02:27 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!
I think DT got it nailed. It is one area I haven't had to dig into yet. On my dad's S-14 a worn and very loose bushing changed the steering capability quite a bit. The best place to download manuals free is from Ariens website. Just get your model number and it will give you the one for your tractor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steering, stop, adjustment