49 replies to this topic

#16 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 12:15 AM

Just from my experience DON'T plan on smooth sailing with the Honda conversion kit from Small Engine Warehouse if ya go that route.........their "just bolt in conversion" is far from that!! Plan on lots of modifications!! I never thought of the diesel idea either but wish I'd gone that route now also but still happy with my choice!! I converted a Ingersoll RM60 60" cut mower deck and the Honda just plays with it!! My Honda 24hp beats the pants out of old Onan 16hp and uses a ton less fuel then that Onan too!! Good luck on whatever your decision and if you decide on the Honda from Small Engine Warehouse let me know if need any help since its still fresh in my mind!! LOL!! Luke

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Never seen a gas engine do what a diesel can do on the same $ fuel with comparable rated engines.

I agree with Daniel. A real life example- I had a JDx475 GT with a 750cc 23hp Kawi Vtwin Liquid cooled. Nice engine but at least 4-5litres/hr of fuel (Over 1gal/hr) even when just doing chores around the yard. I traded it in for a JD2320 which has a 24HP Yanmar diesel and is a CUT weighing 3000lbs with the loader and ballast. Fuel consumption is anywhere from 2-3litres/hr when you keep the rpm's down and 4-5 when working it hard. I use about 1/2 the fuel now and can do more work in the same time with the larger tractor. The diesel has a couple of inherent advantages. There is 15% more energy in diesel fuel than gas and diesels do not suffer from throttle related vacuum pumping losses like gas engines which makes diesels much more efficient at low power levels. When I first considered the diesel I thought the smell (fuel and exhaust)would be a problem but I find I would rather have diesel around then gas any day. Your problem will be finding a suitable diesel for the conversion.

Edited by JDBrian, June 19, 2011 - 06:23 AM.
clarify statement

#18 Trump OFFLINE  

Trump

• Member No: 2082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:31 AM

what model number engine was it for the honda option

#19 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 12:30 PM

My Honda engine I purchased from Small Engine Warehouse was a GX670 rated at 24 hp. I agree with all on the diesel engine route but everybody isn't taking into consideration the upkeep on a diesel engine vers a gas engine! The cost to repair a set of injectors and injection pump vastly outweigh rebuilding a carb and installing a set of plugs! Guarantee people are gonna get sticker shock when they have to start repairing some of these high hour diesel compact engines! They might last a long time but hold on to your wallet when they break.....and they will! Just my 2 cents! Luke

#20 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Thats true. But the diesel that will fit in the engine bay will require some serious modifications and the PTO set up will have to be changed. Possibly to just a single belt that is run continously. The diesels that will fit arent more than 18hp. A 25-27hp gas engine will outpower it any day

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 03:21 PM

My Honda engine I purchased from Small Engine Warehouse was a GX670 rated at 24 hp. I agree with all on the diesel engine route but everybody isn't taking into consideration the upkeep on a diesel engine vers a gas engine! The cost to repair a set of injectors and injection pump vastly outweigh rebuilding a carb and installing a set of plugs! Guarantee people are gonna get sticker shock when they have to start repairing some of these high hour diesel compact engines! They might last a long time but hold on to your wallet when they break.....and they will! Just my 2 cents! Luke

I don't think it costs more for routine maintenance on the diesel than the gas engine. I agree they will be more expensive when a major overhaul or repair like a fuel pump is needed for instance. But look at the example I gave above. I am saving at least 2litres/hr of fuel. Currently it is 1.25/litre. Over 1000hrs that works out to 2500$ in fuel savings. This is based on my actual experience with both tractors over 3 yrs. of ownership. Your mileage may vary. With the rising cost of fuel there is a real long term cost to the higher consumption of a gas engine. I am comparing a 23HP gas with a 24HP diesel so the ratings are pretty close. If you start comparing a 27hp gas engine to a 18HP diesel the fuel savings will be even more although with 27hp you will have more power available. Do you really need and can your tractor actually make use of that much HP. The gas engine will make you pay a steep price for the extra power whenever you fill the tank.

#22 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 04:04 PM

This isnt an argument about diesel vs gas. There isnt a diesel engine that will fit well.

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 04:10 PM

If you are looking for pretty much a bolt in swap then a gas twin is the way to go, like Mike mentioned a diesel with enough horsepower to be worth while running will take a good bit of fabricating because you are going to have a cooling system to worry about fitting in there also.

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 04:55 PM

If you are looking for pretty much a bolt in swap then a gas twin is the way to go, like Mike mentioned a diesel with enough horsepower to be worth while running will take a good bit of fabricating because you are going to have a cooling system to worry about fitting in there also.

Where's your sense of challenge??????? Yes, major work fitting in a diesel, but I like challenges.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Where's your sense of challenge??????? Yes, major work fitting in a diesel, but I like challenges.

I know you like the challenge and I would like the challenge but not everyone is like us LOL.

#26 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 11:12 PM

We can argue about this topic all day and night with all parties having valid points! It all depends on what the machine is designated to do.......if your running it everyday (loader work, tilling,etc...) then yes a diesel is the way to go but if your just mowing your lawn once a week then the gas engine will do for alot less money overall! Its a lawnmower guys not a farm tractor!! LOL! As far as fuel useage goes I run my honda for 3 1/2 hrs everytime I mow on 3 gallons of gas.......how much more economical can ya get then that! Mike brings up a very good point also........no 24hp diesel out there thats gonna fit in these tractors plus the electric clutch would never fit on any diesel that I've seen yet! Would love for someone to prove me wrong though! While we are all dreaming I'd like to make my 1655 4 wheel drive too! LOL! Luke

I don't think it costs more for routine maintenance on the diesel than the gas engine. I agree they will be more expensive when a major overhaul or repair like a fuel pump is needed for instance. But look at the example I gave above. I am saving at least 2litres/hr of fuel. Currently it is 1.25/litre. Over 1000hrs that works out to 2500$ in fuel savings. This is based on my actual experience with both tractors over 3 yrs. of ownership. Your mileage may vary. With the rising cost of fuel there is a real long term cost to the higher consumption of a gas engine. I am comparing a 23HP gas with a 24HP diesel so the ratings are pretty close. If you start comparing a 27hp gas engine to a 18HP diesel the fuel savings will be even more although with 27hp you will have more power available. Do you really need and can your tractor actually make use of that much HP. The gas engine will make you pay a steep price for the extra power whenever you fill the tank.

#27 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 05:39 AM

Has anyone installed a fuel injected replacement in their GT ? I'm betting it would be pretty $$$ to do but nice to dream , Al
Subaru Robin - Features and Benefits

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:07 AM

a very good point also........no 24hp diesel out there thats gonna fit in these tractors plus the electric clutch would never fit on any diesel that I've seen yet! Would love for someone to prove me wrong though! Luke

Well, my Bush Hog JB is the same length & shorter height wise compared to the 1655, and I have a Kubota 25hp (27+ peak HP) in the JB, so it CAN be done. http://gardentractor...l-repower-3989/

As to the pto, it could be re-engineered as well with belt tensioned jackshaft instead of electric pto clutch. Just about anything you want to do can be done with money & time, plus a LOT of head scratching. Money wise to do.....nowhere near usually, but fun to accomplish. True 4WD would be difficult, but front wheel assist is do-able....but again, not for cheap!

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 09:53 PM

olcowhand........front wheel assist is do-able huh!? Ever seen it done before? Thats something I'd love to have on my tractor! Luke

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 10:18 PM

olcowhand........front wheel assist is do-able huh!? Ever seen it done before? Thats something I'd love to have on my tractor! Luke

Anything is possible if you have the cash. You could put hydraulic motors on each wheel & power them from a separate hydraulic pump. Not practical at all though.