• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,642 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Hi Daniel

I'm curious to know how you came up with the fluid formula you use. Do you use ethylene glycol or propylene glycol(plumbing antifreeze). I don't think I would ever use conventional antifreeze as it is extremely toxic to animals if you spring a leak. Do you need freeze protection in Kentucky? I wish they had rim guard up here but the only option offered by dealers is Calcium chloride solution. I guess it would be too expensive to ship rim guard up here.

The formula the tire shops use is just 1 part methanol to 4 parts water. This is all the freeze protection needed. I use the 10% antifreeze (std engine antifreeze) for the corrosion inhibitors, just for insurance. The tire shops say the water/methonol won't corrode the rims in tubeless situations, but I like an added protection from the corrosion inhibitors in the A/F. Rubbing alcohol may work just as well, and readily available, but can be as low as 68% true isopropanol alcohol, the balance being water.

Edited to add: Yep, I'd say we need freeze protection. I remember one winter we hit 22 below 0F with windchill of 40-some below.

Edited by olcowhand, October 25, 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#17 LOW96HB OFFLINE  

LOW96HB

• Member No: 7109
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 10:42 AM

Yea...sadly mine needs new shoes also...:wallbanging: