Garden Tractor Forums banner

got some new shoes for the 400

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  LOW96HB 
#1 ·
#3 ·
my buddys 400 has a set of these nanco tires and the bars are a little closer and doesnt seem to tear the yard up as bad . and those tru power tires are just to high . i looked at them on ebay and they where 199 each . im going to get tubes and fluid put in them .

#4 ·
Good looking, you have more in them than I got my Ford for. LOL

#8 ·
Gary318 said:
my buddys 400 has a set of these nanco tires and the bars are a little closer and doesnt seem to tear the yard up as bad . and those tru power tires are just to high . i looked at them on ebay and they where 199 each . im going to get tubes and fluid put in them .
Glad you know there are differences, but like I said, great tires & great price! I run fluid tubeless, but always paint my rims nice inside first. 20% methanol, 70% water, 10% antifreeze.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I love new tires, best part about getting a new truck, the wife knows I gonna get new tires. I agree with Kenny, these lawn tractor tires are just silly expensive. I really don't see where the price is. $200 a tire? I get my 33's for less than that and that is mounted and all. And I am not talking about regular car tires these are off-road mud tires. I just don't see the cost, they don't have much of a load or speed rating.

#11 ·
olcowhand said:
Glad you know there are differences, but like I said, great tires & great price! I run fluid tubeless, but always paint my rims nice inside first. 20% methanol, 70% water, 10% antifreeze.
Hi Daniel

I'm curious to know how you came up with the fluid formula you use. Do you use ethylene glycol or propylene glycol(plumbing antifreeze). I don't think I would ever use conventional antifreeze as it is extremely toxic to animals if you spring a leak. Do you need freeze protection in Kentucky? I wish they had rim guard up here but the only option offered by dealers is Calcium chloride solution. I guess it would be too expensive to ship rim guard up here.

#12 ·
Gary - Those are going to look great on your 400. Thanks for the link. I see these guys will ship to Canada so they are a valid alternative for me.

#13 ·
Am I reading it right , the rear tires are cheaper then the fronts ? Boy you can tell I haven't bought tractor tires in a long time !!!!

#14 ·
Alc said:
Am I reading it right , the rear tires are cheaper then the fronts ? Boy you can tell I haven't bought tractor tires in a long time !!!!
no the rears were a little higher but both sets are pretty dern high i think way cheaper on ebay though

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
JDBrian said:
Hi Daniel

I'm curious to know how you came up with the fluid formula you use. Do you use ethylene glycol or propylene glycol(plumbing antifreeze). I don't think I would ever use conventional antifreeze as it is extremely toxic to animals if you spring a leak. Do you need freeze protection in Kentucky? I wish they had rim guard up here but the only option offered by dealers is Calcium chloride solution. I guess it would be too expensive to ship rim guard up here.
The formula the tire shops use is just 1 part methanol to 4 parts water. This is all the freeze protection needed. I use the 10% antifreeze (std engine antifreeze) for the corrosion inhibitors, just for insurance. The tire shops say the water/methonol won't corrode the rims in tubeless situations, but I like an added protection from the corrosion inhibitors in the A/F. Rubbing alcohol may work just as well, and readily available, but can be as low as 68% true isopropanol alcohol, the balance being water.

Edited to add: Yep, I'd say we need freeze protection. I remember one winter we hit 22 below 0F with windchill of 40-some below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.