9 replies to this topic

#1 Roger B OFFLINE  

Roger B
  • Member No: 87067
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi all,

I am hoping to find someone who can help me establish a rough value for a Bolen's QT-16, Mod. 1666-01, which I believe is a 1972-1973. It has a Onan BF-MS/2425A twin cylinder engine which does run, albeit a bit rough, I believe it needs carburetor work.  It has a flexible cab, tire chains, wheel weights, a Bolens snow blower and a Bolens three-blade mower.  All are in good shape considering it is right around 45 years old! It has always been stored inside and was only used sparingly on a vacation property.

We would like to offer it for sale, but do not know what it's worth. I can supply additional pictures if they would help in any way. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Roger B

DSCN1779_756.JPG

DSCN1780_757.JPG

• Traill95 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 73 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 09:10 AM

Hi Roger

first off - welcome aboard - lots of good info on this site 

I have no idea of what your QT-16 is worth,  I think the first real answer you'll get is whatever someone will pay, however, looking quick, your machine looks like it's in great shape. Try running some "Seafoam" thru the carb with fresh gas, that might take care of the roughness.

good luck with it

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,780 Thanks
  • 2,027 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 09:29 AM

Location and condition play a big part with pricing,welcome aboard

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,039 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 10:08 AM

Watch craigs list in your area and see what others are asking. Of coarse finding a match for your machine is likely impossible but it should give you an idea for a starting point.  If you want top dollar clean it up and shine it. After 45 years of any kind of use maintenance makes more difference than any thing so the more well maintained it looks the better. If you just want it gone list it cheep and it will disappear quick.Don 

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,802 Thanks
  • 6,035 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Looks like it has been repainted. More gray than white like the wheels.  Also no decals on the hood.  Cab is hiding a lot.  Anyone that knows the Onan engine knows parts are real high $$$.  That will hurt the sale some.  In this part of the country, anyone that really wants a QT will be hard pressed to find one. Maybe 1 a year shows up for sale.

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,908 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 12:58 PM

How many hours is on the meter?

Not knowing the condition of the engine I wouldn't offer more than maybe $400.

The last QT16 I looked at was supposed to run a bit rough but came with a dual stage blower and a nice deck.He was asking $500 obo but after hearing it run it was defiantly only running on 1 cylinder.I pulled the spark plug on the dead cylinder and it had zero compression.Not Knowing whether it had a busted rod or a simple stuck valve I decided not to make an offer on it.Pretty sure it had a blown rod though.As chieffan stated Onan parts are pretty darn pricey If you can find them.

#7 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 73 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 08:12 AM

so much for "looking quick"......

#8 Roger B OFFLINE  

Roger B
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 06:23 AM

Thank you guys for all the comments.. I was kinda hoping that early 70's QT-16's were priceless collectables and that somebody from East Beauhunk would be heading my way with a trailer and a fist full of cash! Oh well, at my age I shoulda known better... LOL

I got it running (it wasn't when I got it) and I'm sure it's running on both cylinders, but it won't run smoothly, You have to keep working the carb to keep it going.. It's going to take more than sea foam I'm afraid.

We'll take some pretty pictures and list it on Craigs list or 'Uncle Henry's' and see what the interest is..

I don't think the sale is going to improve my retirement finances.. and I was looking forward to my own island in the Bahamas . . . Oh well.......

Thanks again,

Roger B

#9 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 75 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 01:42 AM

All of the QT's in the western Pa , eastern OH area seem to be in the area of $400-$800.  Again all depending on condition and attachments.  Those are prices I see on CL when browsing through the Bolens section.  

#10 Roger B OFFLINE  

Roger B
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 05:36 AM

In checking CL Maine and New Hampshire, I only found one reference to a Bolens QT and it was for a "push tube" and "push arm". I could not determine from the included picture what on earth they were talking about, but evidently, currently there are no QT tractors for sale in this area from which I can draw any comparables from.

Thanks again..

Roger