#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,135 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 09:45 PM

Went tractor shopping at a Big R farm store and while there looked for work boots. I usually get their Wolverine brand, but didn't see ones I liked to day and got Red Wings. $170 with taxes and made by Finest Chinese Craftsman. Like the wider steel toe and these are waterproof, first time I've had those, probly no need for that feature. Was trying on several brands and instant these hit my foot, was big AAHHH! Fit great, think gonna like them. My last ones were Ariat, same as cowboy brand, and don't like them. The soles are unglueing on those and not even that old.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170526_212248.jpg
  • 20170526_212248.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 26, 2017 - 09:49 PM.

• olcowhand, Cvans, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,915 Thanks
  • 29,738 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 09:47 PM

"Adventures of My New Boots" ???

Hope they last you well.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 09:59 PM

Altho you cant beat American craftsmanship, dont knock a boot because its made in china. Redwing is just like Justin. They make american boots, and they are very good, but they also make Chinese boots, that are also very good. Hope they last you well.

On a side note, no boot is ever water proof. Merely water resistant. If you kept those in water, lets say, for a week or more, you would most likely have water in your boot. Yes that is a big stretch, and no one will have boots submerged in water for that long, but am i wrong in saying that they are water resistant, not proof?

Edited by 637Yeoman, May 26, 2017 - 10:01 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,831 Thanks
  • 4,007 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 11:09 PM

Nice boots! I rub Kiwi brand dubbin on all my new work boots whether or not they are supposed to be "waterproof". It's the last thing I do to them in the fall when I put the summer boots to rest for the winter. They stay nice and supple while in storage and are ready to go again in the spring.
  • KennyP, Sawdust and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 835 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 12:44 AM

I grease my old red wings up with Hubbard's boot grease,used it for years and years.
  • KennyP, oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,827 Thanks
  • 1,214 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 02:19 AM

I used to love when someone showed up at work with a new pair of boots. they didn't look new for long with me around!

Edited by karel, May 27, 2017 - 02:20 AM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#7 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 06:41 AM

"Adventures of My New Boots" ???

Hope they last you well.

I think "adventure of my old boots" would be more exciting.......lol

• MH81 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,397 Thanks
  • 5,810 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 06:48 AM

Looks like a good choice. I had one pair of steel toe boots and hated them.  Heavy and froze my toes in the winter.  Usually by the Wolverine brand but a 10" boot.  They are all recycled dead cows. HA!

• Sawdust and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,497 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 09:07 AM

I go to the Red Wing store and get the same  model boots every time, the ones I get ARE USA made.... I have tried Wolverine and others but they don't last nearly as long as the Red Wings do.

A couple of years ago I made my 1 and only-ever trip to Texas and we stopped in a leather shop.... I wound up buying a pair of Justin's that day, felt like you decsribe your new boots as soon as my feet landed in them;  but I use them as ""spares"'' yes they are comfortable, but I don't care for the pointy elf toes and these are 8" boots with the pointy toe it renders the steel toe almost useless.... the steel ends too far still in the pointy part to actually save my toes shouls that need ever happen.... honestly I don't care much for steel toed boots but most jobs I have ever had, say I have to have them.

years ago that's what I used to get all the time but since I switched to 6" I havent looked back, the 8 inchers do feel weird and my feet seem to sweat more than with the 6 inchers I usually get. and yes same way here, I bought these particular ones because they were the most comfortable of what this place hd in stock and besides being the only Justin's they had in a work boot that are USA made.... 1st pair ever of that brand of boot that I have ever had. ...

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,788 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 07:58 PM

I use these waterproof Red Wings too. My job requires being in standing water a lot and snow as well. I believe they are definitely more than just water resistant. I have had to stand in 3 or 4 inches of water for hours at a time and they stay completely dry inside. The outside dries really fast once out of the water also. My employer buys my work boots but I had such good luck with them that I went and bought a pair for myself too.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Red Wings.jpg

• oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#11 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,314 Thanks
  • 3,241 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 09:53 PM

I'm looking for some good boots with that instant awwww feeling too. I need a EEE. I've had Woverine,Red wings & Timberline. I like the RW but so far there not that comfortable as before. My best boot was a mock toe JcPenny bought the same boot every three years for a long time, expensive but felt good. They don't make them anymore. Anymore I don't think the sizes are very accurate & with clothes also...not getting fat either so no wise cracks. Lol

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,831 Thanks
  • 4,007 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 11:20 AM

I, too, have noticed the size difference issue, especially in shoes/boots. I read somewhere that as we age the tendons etc. in our feet get slacker and our feet spread out more... I'm flying with that explanation, 'cause saying I'm gaining weight just won't cut it, lol.
I've noticed that the standard "one size fits all" label has been changed to read "one size fits most". I'm guessing they figure that will cover their butts for sure.

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,865 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 02:45 PM

I wear Blundstones at work because they are a slip on safety boot. Slip on is important for nap time. If I'm doing real work such as cutting trees I have 8" lace up Goodhues I got at Sally Ann for $12.  They are very comfortable.

Yes most of us wear a size larger footwear after about 40 or so birthdays. 

Edited by Jazz, June 03, 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#14 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,827 Thanks
  • 1,214 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 05:49 AM

I am very hard on boots. I have tried all the major "once reputable brands" on the market at one point in my life time. Have fun finding a pair not made in china! So, most of the boots your going to find on the consumer market are complete crap. unless you want a 300 dollar pair of danners. The last pair of civilian boots I bought were chippawa. they were junk china crap, 20 yrs. ago! I wear military boots. best bang for the buck. and they last.

• Jazz said thank you