• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 85 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 08:52 PM

My good Sears custom 10 was late getting used this year due to weather and a ignition problem,when I fired it up it really did not run too well and after adding some fresh gas and after a couple laps around the yard today it started running much better. Never had any problems before but there is always the first time and I usually have them going by late march or early april but it looks like the extra month was enough time for the gas to start going bad so I will drain all gas this winter.

• Cvans, boyscout862, old coot and 2 others have said thanks

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,512 Thanks
  • 4,172 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 09:04 PM

Don't really have a winter here, but with 5-1/2 machines, some don't get run as often as they should. I use a 5 gallon can and add 1 oz of the Sta-Bil 360, and 1 oz of Gumout All-n-One to the 5 gallons. (I use this mix to make a separate 40:1 2-Stroke mix) Everyone seems to like it. No complaints after sitting 6 months before a run. Both say they treat Ethanol. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1190623.jpg

• Alc, oldedeeres, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,744 Thanks
  • 931 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 09:05 PM

The reason I don't drain tanks is I'm worried about condensation and corrosion in the tank.  I store full with treated fuel.  Untreated modern gasoline goes bad very fast - especially if it's in an out building.  Or worse yet, outside.

Just put the boat in the water Tuesday.  Treated fuel has been sitting almost 8 months.  No problem.

If you do drain the tank I suggest laying down a coat of fogging oil to protect it.

Edited by MiCarl, May 25, 2017 - 09:08 PM.

• Alc, HANKG and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 09:09 PM

If you have a metal tank, condensation is a real possibility.  I keep the tanks full and treated with Sta-bil.  The carb gaskets can't dry out if there is fuel in the carb.

• oldedeeres and old coot have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 10:15 PM

I use non ethanol gas in all my small engines and my 63 year old outboard. The outboard is the only one with a metal tank and it gets emptied at the end of the season and the proper amount of two stroke oil poured in the tank for the proper mix in the spring to prevent rust over the winter. The carb is drained also. All the rest get the gas emptied out of the plastic tanks, started and run 'til they die. Been doing this for some yrs and no problems even with gaskets drying out. The outboard gas is run thru the snowblower and wheeler through the winter. To each his own.

Mike 

• Alc, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,860 Thanks
  • 1,247 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 03:20 AM

whenever I pick up an animal I plan on keeping for a while. I make it drainable.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,069 Thanks
  • 44,091 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 05:42 AM

I use non-ethanol and Seafoam. Not any issues, even with last years 2-cycle mix.

• John Arsenault said thank you

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,978 Thanks
  • 3,289 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 06:09 AM

The reason I don't drain tanks is I'm worried about condensation and corrosion in the tank.  I store full with treated fuel.  Untreated modern gasoline goes bad very fast - especially if it's in an out building.  Or worse yet, outside.

Just put the boat in the water Tuesday.  Treated fuel has been sitting almost 8 months.  No problem.

If you do drain the tank I suggest laying down a coat of fogging oil to protect it.  Yeah man, never had a problem with bad gas and keeping the tank full is key to eliminating condensation always kept my boat tanks full and stabilized

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,225 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 06:41 AM

>Now that I just got my new to me Ingersoll, I might just keep it in the living room next winter.<  Did I really just say that out loud? :watch_over_fence: 

• KennyP, old coot and MolonLabe have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 07:27 AM

the only choice I have for non ethanol is the $6+ a quart stuff off the shelf of Lowes, etc.... a couple of places have the gallon jugs and they want $24.99 a gallon..... no thanks, I ain't payin 10x the price for non ethanol...

• KennyP and old coot have said thanks

#11 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 860 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 10:36 AM

>Now that I just got my new to me Ingersoll, I might just keep it in the living room next winter.<  Did I really just say that out loud? :watch_over_fence:

Years ago I used to keep my motorcycle in the living room of my apartment during the winter.

• old coot said thank you

#12 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,910 Thanks
  • 2,300 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 10:59 AM

A week ago I filled up the car with gas and I also filled 3 5gal cans at a QT . I got home and dumped the gas in several tractors and noticed it smelled awful. My loader is even running a little rougher with this gas in it, luckily the car is still running OK. I would of thought being a super busy gas station their gas would of been fresher.

• KennyP said thank you

#13 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 558 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 11:09 AM

Maybe their tank was low and you got some stuff that was floating near the top. After I got water in my gas by buying it at a low lying station after a heavy rain I tend to pick the higher elevation places now.

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,225 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 02:13 PM

Years ago I used to keep my motorcycle in the living room of my apartment during the winter.

And my wife told you to go do what?

#15 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 06:04 PM

One year I got Some aircraft gas given to me and put in all the tractors and motorcycles, and come spring everything started up like it had been running last week. Floyd.