Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What to check for on a LGT 145 that has just been sitting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• Member No: 3444
  • 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hi guys, I found a tiller for my LGT 100, but to get it I also need to buy a dozer blade, snow blower, 42" mowing deck, and a '73 LGT 145. All 5 + manuals for $500. Considering the price of a decent, working tiller, I think I'm getting a good deal.

My concern is the LGT 145. The seller doesn't know if it will even run. I'm going to take some engine lube, a battery, and see if it at least wants to start. What else should I inspect on an old tractor that has just been sitting?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:41 PM

For all that for that price I wouldn't even worry about it running or not to seal the deal. I would get it and then tinker with it once I had it home. Especially if all of the 145 is there.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me. I got lucky and got my 165 much cheaper, but no snow blower. Only a 10" plow instead.

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 05:41 PM

If it turns over and has compression, it should run....Might have to mess with the points to get spark....Both my LGT125s had sat for years, they both run, although, they need to be rebuilt....burn oil

#5 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 06:05 PM

That was my thought...with the 4 attachments at that price, the tractor is kind of a "throw in".

Forgive my novice questions, but how do I test for compression on these? Should I use a compression tester where the spark plug goes? If the starter's bad, what do I need to do to turn it over by hand?

Edited by kiddpitt, June 16, 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Compression tester will get a false reading due to the compression release feature on the cam. Hold your thumb over the plug hole and see if it builds anything. Most likely you will have some corroded connections to start with. Have to work your way through those so you get it to turn over with spark. A cheap spark tester would be real handy.
If the tiller and snow blower are in good shape, you have most of the cost covered.

#7 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Luckily, I just had a bad solenoid on my LGT 100, so I went through alot of the diagnostics and know my way around the test points.

Thanks for the help...and confirming the attachments alone make this a good deal. I already have a snow blower and a cutting deck, so I may sell those 2 off and keep the rest.