#16 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:10 PM

That is what i did.  First i got this rake, a brinly cultivator i believe

joedirt.jpg

No more pretty tractor.  I may change my screen name to joe dirt.

Then i went down and raked the garden downhill with the cultivator, the best i could.  Opened up some nice grooves draining the bed downhill.  I also used the bottom plow to dig a couple furrows downhill at each corner, where the water was pooled up the worst.   It was so muddy that i got stuck at one point, stuck a rock under the wheel, which launched me out of the rut while throwing off a chain.  at least i got out of the hole.  drove up to the house and shut it down for the rest of that day.  arthritis flaring up pretty good from all that bouncing around.  heat and ice for the rest of that day.

Then the Mrs. moved a bunch of lower sod clumps into the mud holes higher up.  Basically we are trying to move the bed downhill, away from the steep slope above, to where the lower edge drops off so it may have a chance to gravity drain. 

It is starting to dry up pretty well, although now there's 5 days of showers in the forecast.  hope to get out in between the raindrops and keep picking away at it.  will see how it does.  been a wet spring

#17 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,703 Thanks
  • 4,473 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 03:27 PM

Just curious... what is the difference in elevation on this plot? With lots of rain forecast and having just broken the soil you could end up with a fair little ravine.

• Oldford said thank you

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:27 PM

You're not joking!  This plot is in the lower half of a building site, about 4' below the grade of the built-up site.  In the plot itself there is about a 10" rise on the high side, and a 10" drop on the low side.  I moved it down to get away from the high side and take advantage of any possible drainage toward the low side.  Makes for a narrow bed, about 10' wide by around 20' long.

The past couple summers have been a pretty hard drought here, so i thought i'd try putting in a plot on the low ground so it wouldn't dry out.  Plus this late in the season the upper field is really thick with the sod.  This lower patch seemed like it would be easier plowing... at least until i got started and ended up making a ravine lol...

• oldedeeres said thank you