Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 05:45 AM

A good friend of mine , the one who lost almost all his tractors , tools in a fire this past winter is looking for a replacement tractor . he's looking at a JD 400 , approx. 1600 hrs . He saw it at a tractor show flea market , the fellow was pretty firm at $1500 , 60" deck and snow blower .  He says it runs and looks good . It didn't sell but he got his # . My only advice was to run the tractor enough to get the engine and hydro warm/hot to see it any issues come up but thought I would ask members here if theres anything else for him to check , Al

• Oldford, propane1 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,832 Thanks
  • 6,063 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 07:30 AM

When I try to sell a machine I always allow the buyer to operate the machine at my place before they buy it.  Of course they have to demonstrate they know how to run it after some instructions if necessary.  The seller should be willing to allow this or he is hiding something.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 08:11 AM

Those 400 series seem pretty burly.  If the 400 is like my old 300 it would be the first model of that generation.  My 300 had none of the frills of the later 318s like power steering or 3-way hydraulics.  Had a funky "closed frame" that made rear end service a pain.  Still it had 2 spools and was pretty rugged.  I think it was a crossover in between the older 140 series and what was to come with the 318's... maybe the 400 is similar..?..  i.e. a basic "improvement" over the previous smaller series with maybe some things that would be improved upon later...?... perhaps could take a lot of the attachments for the later 400 series in general as long as it had enough spools... maybe even use some of the earlier implements...?...

Looks like it was made 75-83 with a sundstrand, i'd check the hydro for creep, JD had a lot of small parts in the linkage that can wear... good luck...

http://www.tractorda...-deere-400.html

• Alc said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 10:35 AM

Looks like a pretty HD tractor , shaft driven deck and snowblower , he also said there was a aftermarket rear hitch but not sure if it's a 3 pt or not . Half tempted to look at it if he doesn't buy it .

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 05:50 AM

My friend bought it . He couldn't fit everything on his little trailer so he had to put the snow blower and deck on the second trip . he was surprised  how heavy the snow blower was , the fellow loaded with a tractor that had forks on it . He tried moving it at his house with a hand cart "no way" he told me lol . He had to get his old back hoe to move it . He put the deck on and mowed a little . very happy having p/s and the large deck is a foot bigger then he was using .