best way to get head bolts off.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 16, 2011 - 02:58 PM

so whats the best way to get stuck in head bolts out. i have 2 that r gonna b a pain and i really dont want to snap them. ive unloaded a nice amount of wd on them, the heads of the bolts move but the rest doesnt, usually that means there gonan break.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:06 PM

On bolts like this, I always rap them with a small hammer several times to jar the threads. Put your penetrant on, rap them a few times, then spray again. Do this several times an hour or so apart before attempting removal. Another good thing is to use an air impact, just a small 3/8" impact, & set it on it's lowest setting, so as nowhere near enough power to twist off the bolt. Just the mild impact action alone will many times get the bolt loose. I've had to run the impact on many for several minutes, then have the bolt come on out. But once you see the bolt begin to move, add more penetrant, run in reverse, the forward, then reverse....you will begin to get more movement each cycle.

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:37 PM

the one right by the exhaust manifold came out, but the other one snapped, i got the makita 18v drill and the cobalt bits out. it'll b half drilled out tonight.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:53 PM

If you have a welder handy, just weld a nut to the broken bolt and let it cool. Then it should back right out. The heat from welding will break the rust loose, and after I weld a nut on, I usually tap it a few times with a hammer.

#5 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:55 PM

It also helps to put heat on the head before attemping to remove the bolt, once it is pretty hot, rapp it a few licks and then let it cool off before trying to turn. Of course a couple shots of Blaster does'nt heart either.