• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GM2SLO OFFLINE  

GM2SLO
  • Member No: 28859
  • 54 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 06:38 PM

I bought this 1650 as a parts machine but have found out not much crosses over to my 1855A . So,I have been tinkering around with it and it has a pretty serious leak from the valve body ,right at the rod that goes in and out as you operate the deck lift lever .I'm not scared to pull things apart but just wondering what I may be getting into and maybe have some parts on hand to repair it .I don't comment much but stop in and read the forums and try to keep up.

Thanks, Bob20161113_135813_resized.jpg  

#2 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 949 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 06:48 PM

Never been inside one,fortunatly none of mine has ever leaked. But I will be keeping up with the responses just in case. Good luck.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,210 Thanks
  • 43,326 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:05 PM

I installed the MF valves on Alice. This thread has the info in it for rebuilding those valves, post # 166 and on.

Edit: Post 103 is the first info on the needed o-rings. Post 155 is an updated list. Member ducky sells the kit, just PM him. He may take a bit to respond as he may be busy.

Edited by KennyP, May 24, 2017 - 07:11 PM.

• ducky and limebuzz have said thanks

#4 GM2SLO OFFLINE  

GM2SLO
  • 54 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 05:42 AM

Thanks for the reply,I sure will check out those posts and decide if I want to get into it or not .If I plan to use the machine at all I will have to do something. 

Thanks again, Bob

• KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,210 Thanks
  • 43,326 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the reply,I sure will check out those posts and decide if I want to get into it or not .If I plan to use the machine at all I will have to do something. 

Thanks again, Bob

It's not that hard, I hadn't been into a valve before that thread. Just make sure things are clean and a little lube on the spool o-rings when putting back together. Those are pretty simple valves.

• limebuzz said thank you

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 4,085 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 07:32 PM

Here is some more info on that valve you can use when you get the O Rings we discussed.

• GM2SLO said thank you

#7 GM2SLO OFFLINE  

GM2SLO
  • 54 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 09:36 AM

OK,so with Ducky's help I should have a handle on this leaking valve problem very soon ''fingers crossed'' thanks again to all who replied .Well now on to the next problem,I decided to try and mow the back yard today (Sat.) and it did really well.I really liked the foot control over the hand controlled Cubs I am used to.But I was fighting a nagging fuel delivery problem I was running a small temp tank as the original needs a new bung.It did have a small square electric pump on it but I by-passed it as it did not seem to pump.I guess what I am asking is advise on a reasonable priced,electric pump that will not over power the needle and seat in the carb.

Thanks again, Bob 

• KennyP said thank you

#8 GM2SLO OFFLINE  

GM2SLO
  • 54 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 03:56 PM

Just a quick update on the leaking valve ,got the kit from Ducky and was spot on.Worst part was getting the lines off but used some flair wrenches and got them.Popped it all apart and the o-ring right where the handle for the lift is was torn that is where it was really pouring out of.Cleaned it all up and put it back on and so far no leaks! it looks like something out of Mad Max with no hood and the center and valve covers still off but I mowed the back yard and works great.

Thanks again to all,

Bob 

• ducky, limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 4,085 posts

Posted July 06, 2017 - 07:10 PM

Just a quick update on the leaking valve ,got the kit from Ducky and was spot on.Worst part was getting the lines off but used some flair wrenches and got them.Popped it all apart and the o-ring right where the handle for the lift is was torn that is where it was really pouring out of.Cleaned it all up and put it back on and so far no leaks! it looks like something out of Mad Max with no hood and the center and valve covers still off but I mowed the back yard and works great.

Thanks again to all,

Bob 

Glad we could help.