8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 03:38 PM

Couple hours drive and was at the address.  Up a steep narrow drive, got to the top and no place to go.  Had to unhook the trailer, back it around in front of the shack for a garage by hand.  Then back down the drive onto a 4 lane street with little visibility and back up the drive to get the trailer hooked up.  Looked the tractor and deck over and about what I expected, probably be parts pieces.  First the tractor -Bolens G11XL with no steering wheel,  kind of beat up, seat held water though, new sticker tires and tubes on the front, back held air and weather checked, no air cleaner, throttle and choke were both free and moved their respective parts.   Wiring all intact. Looks like the original 11 hp Briggs engine but could not find any numbers on it.  Needs a bath.  Brakes don't work.  Steering is tight (surprise) with a vise grip for the steering wheel.  Bushing around the bearing is gone on the top end.  Could see where they cut the steering wheel off with a cut off wheel & angle grinder.  Engine is free and plug didn't look to bad, oil had good color and no  bad odor to it.  Might run after a clean up.  Deck had been used hard, bearings were free, blades not so good, couple holes in the deck that can be patched without much trouble. Back rollers are not there but I can make them without much trouble.  Mounting brackets seem to be all there.  Height adjustment is missing a part on the one side.  First deck for an XL series I have seen and been looking for a year and a half.  Real scarce in this area.  Only ones that show up are on a tractor.  Have about as much in gas and 2 meals as I paid for the tractor and deck.

SAM_0268.JPG   SAM_0270.JPG   SAM_0273.JPG   SAM_0274.JPG SAM_0271.JPG   SAM_0272.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_0269.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 04:35 PM

Looks like its in decent shape, glad to see another saved!

• Trav1s and chieffan have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,083 Thanks
  • 44,104 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 05:28 PM

Nice save! Driveway does look a bit tight!

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 05:38 PM

Nice save! Driveway does look a bit tight!

Not as bad as it looks Kenny.  I have another drive just to the right of this one and don't normally go this way.  I have pulled a 32' goose neck loaded with small hay bales out around there before the other drive was put in.  Now that was tight.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 808 Thanks
  • 465 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 06:09 PM

Very nice It found a good home , But one little question ?   a were is the steering wheel ?  And  Why ?  good job .

Patrick

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,184 Thanks
  • 1,056 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 06:38 PM

Any tractor saved is a good thing

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,359 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:27 PM

Well, that deck will need some items, wheels and hardware looks like, few patches.  Man, they sure have that engine out of site!  Hard to tell in these pictures that is a Briggs even. I've never seen so much sheilding on one before. This must be from Quiet-line days like most were trying to make in Early 80's?  That's also why they had full sides. Guess they needed ducting to make sure air gets over the engine and down/out from tractors?  PIA to work on I bet.

#8 pacubcadet OFFLINE  

pacubcadet
  • Member No: 87016
  • 58 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 10:01 PM

Looks a little rough but definitely salvageable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 08:08 AM

Very nice It found a good home , But one little question ?   a were is the steering wheel ?  And  Why ?  good job .

Patrick

The steering shaft has a bearing on the top end with a sleeve between the bearing and the tube.  Sleeve was gone and shaft wobbled around inside the tube.  My guess is they wanted to fix that and drove the pin out but the wheel was still stuck tight.  Rather than let it soak for a time in a good penetrate, than split the wheel hub down the side and busted it off - then quit.  Never seen that type of air box before and doubt if I will ever find one.  Parts breakdown for the tractor shows what it is supposed to look like.   Another project on the back burner.