11 replies to this topic

#1 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi,
I recently bought my first home and with it comes quite a lot of lawn and a big drive way, being in Quebec, I really need a snowblower!

I would like suggestions on models of tractors that would be in my range. I really like the Honda 6522 but it's a bit on the big side (but would do the job) and the Honda 5518 is not Diesel. They are quite hard to find and a bit on the expensive side also. Here is a bit of specifications.
- Diesel engine
- belly mower of around 54"
- front snowblower 45+"
- any PTO on which I could run a generator
- 4WD
- under or not too much more than 10 000$
- must be in the same size range as the Honda 5518 or the Massey Ferguson 1655 (I don't know a lot of tractors... you should have guessed it by the point of my question)

BTW I don't have any problem for maintaining older tractors, I am currently rebuilding the 54" mower of a MF1655 that was not maintained for over 15 years... quite a big job!

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:46 PM

With a 10k budget you have almost limitless possibilities. The hard part is going to be finding one that is 4x4. If you are looking for a super garden tractor size like the 1655 I really don't think you need 4x4. You would be surprised what the things can do with weight on them.

If you want a diesel the John Deere's like the 430 and there are a couple of other models that have diesels in them would be a great choice as well.

#3 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:54 PM

The JD430 would do all ou want and more just not 4x4 there are newer JD's that are AWD not to sure on the price on them thought i would think there under 10k

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 04:57 PM

How about a B series Kubota?

#5 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 09:34 PM

How about a B series Kubota?

I agree and would add that sub compacts such as a New Holland/Ford or a John Deere would be good choices as well. Something older like a 750 or 755 JD. Dont know the numbers on the Ford/New Hollands that size. Cant go wrong with them and the Yanmar and Shibaru engines will run a long time.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Dont forget the Simplicity, XL I think. It comes with Deisel and 4X4.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:11 AM

Can't offer too much help on picking a tractor, but what is the terrain like? Flat, is driveway/yard on an incline? These can have an effect on what you need.

#8 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Check this one out! Looks nice, but pricey.

Simplicity 2690345 Legacy XL 27HP Diesel Garden Tractor, 4-Wheel Drive

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:37 AM

That is a tough question and one I'm toying with myself(with 8.9 acres my 318 is on the bottom of the reqirement for my property).
$10 K puts you at the bottom of the market if your looking for a new CUT(Compact Utility Tractor). And you will find 12-13K is where that class tractor starts.
Remeber the tractor is a power unit and you will have an investment in implements to do the chores on the property. That can run into as much as half your budget in addition to the tractor.
So I think your looking for a good used unit with some attatchments included.

I'm color blind when it comes to tractors. All the companies make good ones(and a few stinkers An example of that is Kubotas 6000 afine little tractor, I think is the only model in their line that has a counter rotating pto and requres a reverser to run convetional implements). So I would not get too caught up in brands.
I would reccomend you look around and see what's available in your area, And buy the best machine in your budget.
You seem to be mechanical and The most importand question you will have to answer is if the machine you choose had dealer support and parts availability.
Another thing to consider is if the machine is barely adequate or bigger than you think you need. Buy a bigger machine than you think you need so yor not buying twice!
I have a habit of buying a machine to do a specific group of jobs and then finding That I have bigger ideas and it is smaller than I need.
Example my 318 is perfect for mowing and snowblowing but now that I'm planning to put 5 acres of my place into produce production I really need a CUT. Not about to give up my 318,I just need another bigger machine as well.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 17, 2011 - 08:47 AM.

#10 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 04:23 PM

come get my massey in jersey. same as the legacy. diesel 60" deck and turbo collector. well within your budget

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 05:38 PM

If you have 9 acres of grass look at a zero turn

#12 zr600 OFFLINE  

zr600

• Member No: 4208
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 10:01 PM

What about a jd 4100, i think you should be able to find a decent used cut or sub cut with a 10000 budget.