#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,094 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:37 PM

Fella like that needs neighbors and area owner's to complain to the County! I'm sure there isn't much useful or going to be useful there. All kinds of rules like that in my County, BUT takes someone to start the complaint. My Neighbor did that to me and I didn't have much, but was on side next to his long drive. Mostly the Wife who didn't like it. I built a 6ft high wooden fence and gate around the stuff, and Even That was bad to them. They even checked on the permit, see if I had. They hated that too. Fence put me in legal requirement, kept out of site. Only other way was to have it all inside a building, which I didn't have. I had big trucks and tractors back then, little bigger stuff than GT's.

• MH81, boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,898 Thanks
  • 29,724 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 06:23 AM

Fella like that needs neighbors and area owner's to complain to the County! I'm sure there isn't much useful or going to be useful there. All kinds of rules like that in my County, BUT takes someone to start the complaint. My Neighbor did that to me and I didn't have much, but was on side next to his long drive. Mostly the Wife who didn't like it. I built a 6ft high wooden fence and gate around the stuff, and Even That was bad to them. They even checked on the permit, see if I had. They hated that too. Fence put me in legal requirement, kept out of site. Only other way was to have it all inside a building, which I didn't have. I had big trucks and tractors back then, little bigger stuff than GT's.

I hope you painted that fence harvest gold.

Actually, what would be funny, is to put up the fence, then paint it with a mural of exactly what they were looking at before.

Giggle.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#18 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,093 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 03:22 PM

Your 1220 looked like a beautiful little tractor. How sad that is. I hope you get it back to salvage what you can.
  • blackjackjakexxix, Oldford and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#19 Cnc ONLINE  

Cnc
  • Member No: 86139
  • 32 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 07:02 PM

I have a friend like that, not the hoarding but pretty much ruins most things mechanical. He has destroyed countless snowmobiles and was after one of my pristine sleds when I bough a new one. I couldn't sell it to him knowing it would look like crap and be scrap in a season or so. I decided they are not for sale to anyone to prevent bad feelings.
Having a friend like that is not all bad though, a couple of years ago I asked him about a Massy GT he used to have hoping to pick it up as a parts tractor for my Massy 12. Nope, scrapped it, but hey you want this old Bolens?, it pees oil everywhere so it is going for scrap too. Long story short, I got a free Bolens1668. Brought it home, cleaned it up, fixed the oil leak ( all the crank case bolts were loose ), and gave it some TLC and it looks and runs great.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0397.JPG

Edited by Cnc, May 25, 2017 - 07:09 PM.

• MH81, EricFromPa, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks

#20 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 182 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 09:31 PM

That's​ sad, Reed. I remember a few weeks you posted about finding the new seat for the 1220 and you said you were telling your wife you were going to sell it.
I remember thinking it was a nice looking 1220. Now it feels like hearing about an acquaintance who died in a horrible accident.
Well I guess it's Bozo's like that, that will eventually make all of our GTs super rare and super valuable!
  • boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#21 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 397 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 11:18 PM

That's​ sad, Reed. I remember a few weeks you posted about finding the new seat for the 1220 and you said you were telling your wife you were going to sell it.
I remember thinking it was a nice looking 1220. Now it feels like hearing about an acquaintance who died in a horrible accident.
Well I guess it's Bozo's like that, that will eventually make all of our GTs super rare and super valuable!

The funny part is the guy is a mechanical genius ,the things he can build out of nothing are unbelieveable But I never thought he ruined everything he owns first!I am going to try and work out a deal to get whats left back .By the sound of his text this morning there aint much left,He said that when he cut open the trans axle the gears were stripped and broken,Hi and Lo are out and only 3rd gear was still intact,He wanted to know if I had a trans axle out of anything he could get off of me He would make it work and he is going to pull the engine and put in a Briggs van gaurd he has laying around,The trans damage was mostly caused by leaving the tire chains on after they started to fall off and he got them wrapped up tight in the axle but just kept going,He said they would fall off sometime,,,,Cant fix stupid!He is on disability so he is home all day by himself ,Kinda lives like a hermit,So he has plenty of time to destroy things I guess.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#22 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,100 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 11:03 AM

I couldn't sell it to him knowing it would look like crap and be scrap in a season or so. I decided they are not for sale to anyone to prevent bad feelings.
Long story short, I got a free Bolens1668. Brought it home, cleaned it up, fixed the oil leak ( all the crank case bolts were loose ), and gave it some TLC and it looks and runs great.

Sounds like a good way to keep a friend and get free stuff at the same time...

In many ways these are the good old days, still GT's kicking around for scroungers like us to get back in service... they ain't all gone yet... either to scrap or to the museum... some still left for us poor boys to put to work

caused by leaving the tire chains on after they started to fall off and he got them wrapped up tight in the axle,,,,,,, has plenty of time to destroy things I guess.

All this reminds me of a thread i read some years back on some other site.  A regular guy from the site had a crazy neighbor who cut the grass once a year, there was all kinds of kids' toys, chains, pipe, garden hose, you name it under 2' of grass.  Every year the guy would go buy a new GT-size tractor like a new Cub, Sears, etc, blow it up in the tall grass then call the brand junk. 

Then he'd get his neighbor, the regular guy, to help him either fix the tractor or else cut the rest of the grass that year.  This was a running thread over the years airc, could keep up with the saga as it unfolded.

One time the crazy guy tried winching his latest destroy job up a tree so he could clear out the garden hose or whatever from the blades.. and flipped it over backwards onto the hood.  The plastic hood broke so he got mad and said the brand was junk.

by this point he was giving his brand-new-yet destroyed tractors to the regular guy neighbor, who would fix them up when possible, or else part them out.  Guy was making a pretty nice side living out of this, in addition to cutting the guy's grass and scoring free metal parts sticking out of the ground.

Eventually the crazy guy lost the house but for a few years there the regular tractor guy had a friend and a decent income from his neighbor.

All of this is just random but things here reminded me of that story.  theres usually some silver lining in an old tractor story i guess... maybe you can get it back and get some use out of it...

• TomLGT195, Zekkjacen and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#23 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 144 Thanks
  • 187 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 10:37 PM

:mad2:

• Reed Breneman said thank you