• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 202 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 05:35 PM

I recently picked up a 1254 tube frame that was out of use due to one of the gears on a counter shaft losing all the teeth.  I seem to remember hearing of this being a weak point in the tranny.  Are these still available, or has the stock been used up long ago?  I am the second owner now of this tractor, and it was kept in a shed.  The tin is getting rust spots through the paint, but the tractor otherwise looks pretty good.  I didn't realize there was wood grain vinyl on the dash on these tractors.  On this one, it is not faded or damaged.  Looking forward to getting this one running, right after all the other projects!

Also was at an auction where I discovered a pto casting for a tube frame.  Then  found a lift cylinder and bracket for the pump/reservoir for a hydraulic lift.   I hunted all over the auction looking for the pump/reservoir, and finally found it in a barrel of scrap metal, fortunately in the top.  None of the other bidders seemed to have a clue what this stuff was, and I ended up with it all for a song.  Odd thing was that I later found the pulley for the pump in the box of junk I had to buy to get the PTO bracket.  Sometimes you win one!

D

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,396 Thanks
  • 5,810 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 05:46 PM

That gear getting the teeth tore off is kind of common when the operator shifts on the fly.  Cannot do that with these tractors.  As for parts, might be real tough to come up with.  There is a thread on this site on rebuilding one but it isn't a cheap fix by any means.

• Doug E. said thank you

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,953 Thanks
  • 2,236 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 06:14 PM

ATtached is a picture of the gears in the transmission - which gear is damaged?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1254 Transmission.jpg

• Bolens 1000 and Doug E. have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Alot of people abused the transmissions and shifted while the tractor was still in motion causing gear failure on the cluster gear.

There are new and used ones still out there and there even are some people who have rebuilt them machining on a brand new gear.

• Doug E. said thank you

#5 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • 202 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:14 PM

Judging from the direction of the counter shaft, I would have to say #43, although I didn't notice that it had 3 gears on it, I only saw 2.  Regardless, it is the smallest pinion on the shaft, and all the teeth are off of it.   I'd go look at it to make sure, but I'm heading out of town, and have had my nose to the grindstone up till now. 

I am impressed with what I see in the tranny.  Looks well made. 

D.

#6 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • 202 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:17 PM

and there even are some people who have rebuilt them machining on a brand new gear.

How did they go about this?  Weld up the end and remachine?  Somehow add a new spur gear to the end, or? 

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:38 PM

I think there was a thread on here a while back but cant remember who made it

• wilberj and Doug E. have said thanks

#8 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,953 Thanks
  • 2,236 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 08:07 AM

How did they go about this?  Weld up the end and remachine?  Somehow add a new spur gear to the end, or? 

Here is a link to a guide of how I repaired mine - http://gardentractor...e-transmission/ .  If you can find a good used one or NOS one it will be an easier option but they are a weak spot if the transmission is not shifted properly and as a result can be hard to find.

• Bruce Dorsi and Doug E. have said thanks

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,953 Thanks
  • 2,236 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 08:25 AM

If there is some of the teeth remaining the missing parts of the teeth can be built up with weld and then reshaped to the correct profile like I did on the 1053 I am working on -http://gardentractor...-project/page-4 .  I would recommend replacing the gear over welding it as you will have a better job but it requires a lathe and purchasing a new gear.

Edited by 29 Chev, May 25, 2017 - 08:56 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi and Doug E. have said thanks

#10 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 216 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 08:35 AM

I am going through that now with a 3 speed. I didn't have much trouble finding a replacement shaft, but it wasn't especially cheap. If you can find a replacement transmission from someone's boneyard that might be easier and cheaper.

Edited by dtsh, May 24, 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#11 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • 202 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 05:56 AM

Here is a link to a guide of how I repaired mine - http://gardentractor...e-transmission/ .  If you can find a good used one or NOS one it will be an easier option but they are a weak spot if the transmission is not shifted properly and as a result can be hard to find.

Thanks for your excellent write up on fixing the broken gear.  If I do not find a replacement gear under my threshold of pain, I will look at repairing it as per your instructions. 

I am a machinist by trade, and your procedure is well thought out. 

I'm out of town, so can't do anything until I get back. 

Regards,

Doug