This is sickening 

• Cvans, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,131 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 11:49 AM

Nothing new to see here, happens at just about every oil change shop. The fact is they are loosing money on the cheap oil change but they do it to lure you in the door to up sell. If you don't want ripped off then change your own oil, there is a cost for being stupid and lazy.
  • Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 12:13 PM

Why do you think That they do it for the same money as you would pay to buy the materials? Labor ain't free.
  • oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#4 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 12:33 PM

Why do you think That they do it for the same money as you would pay to buy the materials? Labor ain't free.

They lie about needing things changed, then dont change it. They say that they were going to flush the radiator, and block, but the same anti freeze was in the motor, and radiator, but the resevoir was changed, with the wrong kind. Not sure how much you pay for materials but i dont pay 20-29$ in oil. Not saying labor is free, your taking it out of context. The people were lied to

• oldedeeres said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,428 Thanks
  • 5,830 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 01:06 PM

If you don't like it buy your own oil and a GOOD filter and do it yourself.  Then dispose of your oil properly.   Or go buy that new Mobil oil that last a year and you only have to cry about it once a year.  olds45512 hit the nail on the head.  Nothing taken out of context at all.

• oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 465 Thanks
  • 422 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hard to find a good honest mechanic. I had one once and I sure miss him. I do my own oil change and most service but some I don't care to do. Tire work for example. Last time I had a tire repair done my brakes went from fine to pulsating stop. The shop managed to warp the rotor with their impact wrench.

• oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#7 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 465 Thanks
  • 422 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 01:17 PM

If you don't like it buy your own oil and a GOOD filter and do it yourself.  Then dispose of your oil properly.   Or go buy that new Mobil oil that last a year and you only have to cry about it once a year.  olds45512 hit the nail on the head.  Nothing taken out of context at all.

Thats what I do and for the last couple of years Mobil has offered a rebate on Mobil 1 oil so it comes out about the same price as the cheaper oil. Do buy a good filter.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,660 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:05 PM

I used to go to quick change places.  One time the guy came to me with a can of fuel injector cleaner and told me he noticed my injectors were dirty.  I was too tired to ask him to show me the dirty injector on my CARBURETED engine.

I quit doing it when I got tired of repairing stripped drain plugs.

#9 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,871 Thanks
  • 4,021 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:07 PM

In a grocery store it's called a "lost leader", that advertised great buy on tomatoes for instance. Once you're in the store you end up getting other things you see but had no intention of buying in the first place. Marketing at its finest. As I have said before, the only creature you have to fear in this world is our own species.
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 03:36 PM

I have "had" my oil changed twice, and both times they just confirmed that I am better doing it myself. The 1st time I watched the idiot grease the 2 outer tie rod ends and come out from underneath, I asked him about the inners and the idler and pitman arms, he went back under and greased"just" those. I then asked if he was out of grease as he still hasn't done the ball joints and that all 4 had fittings. So he did those.
And then I had to tell him to go back under there yet again and grease the u joints and he said that they didn't have fittings, I had to tell him to go look again.... This was almost 20 years ago on an old Rwd car.
He then proceeded to try and tell me that I was gonna kill my engine by putting 10w40 into it.... C'mon man this was a carbureted 318 in an ex police car... Really? I still have yet to own a vehicle with an aluminum head and overhead cams, and I still run the same oil in everything I own... And have had many go over 200k miles with out having to do major engine work...I change oil no later than every 4,000 Miles.

The last time I took my mom's car in because she was in the hospital and I was using her car as I couldn't drive my truck on the boulevards on the way back and forth to the hospital, and again he tried to sell me an air filter when I knew that I had just replaced it like 1000 miles before.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 23, 2017 - 03:38 PM.

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,428 Thanks
  • 5,830 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 04:12 PM

I have my oil changed at WalMart and have had good service.  On the third vehicle now.  Main reason is hard for me to get under the truck and get the drain plug out with bad shoulders and arthritis in the hands. Plus they have the Quaker State Hi Mileage oil in bulk.  Customer can stand in the waiting area and see their vehicle being serviced the whole time.  Usually two people on it.  Get a lot of other stuff checked, washer jug filled, etc. 180K and still don't use oil.   When I get ripped will go some place else but till then, I am happy I don't have to do it myself.

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 05:10 PM

nobody touches my cars but me.... in fact, for health reasons like chieffan mentioned I put up a 2 post lift in my garage.... besides it doesnt make sense that I have a lift at work and then have to come home and work off the ground, does it? My health isn't that bad yet... but I have had some pretty bad injuries over the years, it is getting a little harder to get myself up off the ground/  with my truck overhead, I don't have to.....

• boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#13 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 217 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 08:48 PM

Several people mentioned "use a good filter", just what is a "good oil filter"?

Skip

#14 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 09:22 PM

Several people mentioned "use a good filter", just what is a "good oil filter"?

Skip

I always buy Wix. You'd probably be surprised to know how many outfit's filters are made by Wix.

Mike

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 10:13 PM

Fram used to be good but no good  any more.  Purolator while on the cheaper side are pretty decent.... I have 4 vehicles that take the same filter/ so I buy them by the case, the parts store I deal with, sells Hastings.  they used to be among the best, have not heard anything bad about them.    Another good brand, though quite pricey are Baldwin. and then of course WIX... (in no particular order here)