4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine OFFLINE  

Wolverine

• Member No: 4138
  • 4 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hey Guys,

1st post here and all but been doing some research on this MF10 I got from my FIL along with the Bolens 1456 but in prep for the upcoming season ( yah I know it's late but we've been in the low single digits til now) I've been doing some maintenance. First off, the oil in the Vari drive was like Whale snot so that's been changed out fresh and I've greased everything I could get at including freeing up some idler wheels on the mower deck. I'm now focusing my attention to the steering tube and it's loose, side to side and forward and back. Can the tube be tightened in the steering box on the MF10? It doesn't screw into it as I can see so how do I firm it up? Any Idea's? I've looked at the manual but it doesn't mention it...

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 01:50 PM

I had the same problem on my Massey MF12, I ended up using the spare one I had out of a parts tractor. The tube is pressed in to the steering gearbox and does work loose over the years of use. Kind of a poor design if you ask me. You have a couple of options, find a good used one which would be hard to do unless you pick it out yourself in person. Second you could weld the tube tight to the gearbox, I would only do maybe four spots that could easily be ground off if you ever had to take it apart. The other option would be to drill and tap to put set screws in to tighten it up.

Welcome to GTtalk.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 05:22 PM

That sounds like good advice there from George. I haven't had to go down that road, "yet".

Welcome to GTT.

I'm interested, you have single digit highs, and you're talking about whale snot. How far north are you?

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 05:40 PM

Gearbox is aluminum, tube steel...no weldy! That's what all mine have been made of.

#5 Wolverine OFFLINE  

Wolverine

• Member No: 4138
  • 4 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Gearbox is aluminum, tube steel...no weldy! That's what all mine have been made of.

Never thought to check if it's alluminum....I assumed it was steel!

That sounds like good advice there from George. I haven't had to go down that road, "yet".

Welcome to GTT.

I'm interested, you have single digit highs, and you're talking about whale snot. How far north are you?

I'm in Newfoundland and the rest of the country is having double digits and we have what we refer to as Caplin Weather, In other words, RDF ( rain, drizzle and Fog) with highs of 5-8c....Brrrrr. The calendar says June but the temp gauge on the car says 5c...Not sure who is right?
The oil in the gear assembly doesn't look like it was ever changed and kinda reminds me of the fork oil I just took out of the XR650R's forks last winter. More like molasses. Very disgusting, IMHO! Neglect...

I had the same problem on my Massey MF12, I ended up using the spare one I had out of a parts tractor. The tube is pressed in to the steering gearbox and does work loose over the years of use. Kind of a poor design if you ask me. You have a couple of options, find a good used one which would be hard to do unless you pick it out yourself in person. Second you could weld the tube tight to the gearbox, I would only do maybe four spots that could easily be ground off if you ever had to take it apart. The other option would be to drill and tap to put set screws in to tighten it up.

Welcome to GTtalk.

I think maybe drill and tap with a set screw... Thanks!

Edited by Wolverine, June 17, 2011 - 04:18 PM.