• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 182 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 07:30 PM

This thing popped up on CL near me this last weekend.  I have been keeping my eye open for a pair of wheel weights for my HT23 and also thinking I wanted to pick up another tube frame mowing deck for parts and such.  The guy had the whole thing listed for what I expected to pay just for weights and a deck alone, so I figured I should jump on it.  There was only one pic in the CL listing which showed just the back half of the tractor with the attachments strewn behind.  From what I could see of the tractor -with bright white paint and part of a green decal- I wasn't sure what model it was.  The seller himself didn't know.
When I showed up at the sellers and first saw the whole tractor - I still couldn't guess.  I knew it was a hydro.  I got a little excited when I pulled the hood and saw, "WISCONSIN."  When I saw it was a TRA-12D, I figured it was a 1256.  So I paid the guy, loaded up and was on my way.
The attachments are in great shape, much better than the TF attachments I already had.  The dozing blade is excellent.  It's probably only been used a handful of times in its life.  The tiller is in good shape - the tines, gearbox and shaft are in good condition. 
The deck is in good shape and it has no holes and everything seems to be tight.  You can see from the pictures that it originally was green but has been repainted to match the other two attachments.  Does that mean it's a pre-1970 model?  The deck is missing the hanging arms/ brackets.   I can't read the model/ serial number sticker on the deck - it's bubbled and warped  Can anyone tell me which mowing deck model this is?
The tractor's kind of rough.  As you can see it's been repainted, and a sloppy paint job it is too.  The model/ serial number stickers are covered and the original decals are covered with the generic green ones.  The dash is plastic - did the 1256 originally come with a plastic dash or is that a replacement?    After I looked at it a bit more - I think it's a 1970, 1256-01.  Am I right in guessing the seat style is 1256-01? The steering wheel center emblem is a Husky Man, not the Husky Dog - isn't that 1970 and before?  Finally, when I searched the serial number for the Wisconsin engine it shows a manufacture date of January 1970.  Seems to all point to a 1256-01.
I'm excited to have my first tube frame hydro and a genuine Wisconsin. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#2 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,747 Thanks
  • 5,471 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 07:36 PM

Nice find! I say yep you have a 1256-01.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Clevis have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,289 Thanks
  • 17,852 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Nice buy I agree with wilberj on the model.

The dash on these were aluminum.

The deck is before 1970, Its a model

Deck should be a 18422 , which were sold in green or red depending on when it was manufactured.

• wilberj and Clevis have said thanks

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 11:10 AM

You may have the original deck. I can see green paint on it where the red has chipped off 1256 is a nice tube frame model.

• Clevis said thank you

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 777 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 11:24 AM

I think that's a cool lookin tractor.  My Bolens also has the later style XL graphics added to an earlier tractor, i like the lighter colors.  Although my tractor is an XL, not as cool as your tube frame.  Still i like the working tractor look, somebody liked it enough to paint it... even the starter belt lol

I like the woodgrain dash look... does it have a cigar lighter? 

Edited by Oldford, May 23, 2017 - 11:45 AM.

• Clevis said thank you

#6 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 182 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 02:55 PM

I like the woodgrain dash look... does it have a cigar lighter? 

Not yet!  Great idea.  That would fit the era - along with an in-dash minibar.

You may have the original deck. I can see green paint on it where the red has chipped off 1256 is a nice tube frame model.

That's what I was thinking.  The tractor (1970), was sold with a 1969 deck in Bolens green.

Nice buy I agree with wilberj on the model.

The dash on these were aluminum.

The deck is before 1970, Its a model

Deck should be a 18422 , which were sold in green or red depending on when it was manufactured.

Thanks for the deck model number.  Now I can cross reference which hanging bracket parts I'm missing.  Are they hard to find?

Nice find! I say yep you have a 1256-01.

Appreciate the confirm!

• wilberj and Oldford have said thanks