21 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 11:49 AM

Well the mice got into my 1250 even though it was in the shed under cover. They managed to make a huge nest and now I have such a weak spark that it won't start. So far I, removed the gas tank, battery, tank and battery platform, drive sheave and pulled the flywheel cover and blew out the next. I put it all back together and still weak to no spark.

I'm guessing that they got between the flywheel and the engine block. I'm wondering where the stator wire comes out from under the flywheel and where it goes. I'm trying to see if the mice ate through the insulation causing a ground. I think I'll need to remove the engine from the tractor and pull the flywheel? There must be an intermittent short to ground in there somewhere. Any thoughts or pictures of this area that anyone may have? Thank you in advance...

BTW, there is a product out there that comes in the form of a small pillow about the size of a large square ravioli and it mint scented. You get 9 pillows in a pack. Put them in your shed and the mice stay away. So far I've had good luck all winter with this. I've heard good things from other people on this as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4514.JPG
  • IMG_4515.JPG
  • IMG_4516.JPG

Edited by Husky, May 22, 2017 - 11:54 AM.

• boyscout862 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,428 Thanks
  • 5,830 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 12:56 PM

Pull the flywheel and you will see where the stator wires run.  Clean the magnets up on the flywheel as well as the stator.  Don't look like your mint scented ravioli block work this time.  I have ahd decent results using dryer sheets but they need to be changed every 23 weeks or so.  

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,482 Thanks
  • 8,484 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 01:47 PM

They may have chewed through wires. They piss on everything and it causes corrossion. Clean it all and check you points. I like to use liquid insulation to recover wires. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Since this last mouse nest I have used the mint stuff and so far so good. This is what got me going on the mint stuff. My next step will be to pull the engine and flywheel. I suspect as you say that the stator is dirty and wires are chewed. I have liquid tape which I plan on using. I'd like to line the wire with steel braid if I can. Not sure when I'll be doing this big job but I'll let you know what I find out. Thank you for the advise. 

#5 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 432 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 04:38 PM

Buy a Cat!! :D

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,111 Thanks
  • 2,818 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 07:22 PM

Buy a Cat!! :D

My neighbor has 1 that I'll gladly donate to the cause :rolling:  She's a Great hunter but likes to use moms flower beds for a litter box.Flowers don't like cat litter.

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 11:13 AM

We have a hawk that lives in the woods behind the shed for years. I think it scared all the mice into my shed. :mad2:

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 12:09 PM

Looking at the S12D Wisconsin guide I see that there were two options for electrical. One was with a stator in the flywheel and the other was battery ignition with coil. Mine is battery with coil. That diagram shows nothing inside the flywheel. I'm thinking that maybe the issue with mine is a coincidence with that mouse nest. I'm going to remove the points cover and see what's going on in there. I hate to remove the engine only to find out that there is no stator and no wiring to look at. That is an all day job I'd like to avoid if possible  :wallbanging:

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,286 Thanks
  • 17,852 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 12:20 PM

If this motor has points theres nothing behind the flywheel.

I thought originally you had solid state , but points changes everything, I'd suspect your points need to be cleaned/gaped and thats all your trouble

• Husky, blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 01:43 PM

If this motor has points theres nothing behind the flywheel.

I thought originally you had solid state , but points changes everything, I'd suspect your points need to be cleaned/gaped and thats all your trouble

Man I sure hope so. I had this all apart up to the flywheel and realized that I'd need to pull the engine to remove the flywheel. I think that mouse nest is a coincidence with this weak intermittent spark issue. I noticed a drop of oil on the points box where the coil wire goes in. I'm now suspecting that area. I plan on removing the points cover next. I attached a picture of what I believe is the points cover it looks like it has a couple clips and you just rotate it to one side to open it ? Also a picture of the coil which I believe is the setup that does not require anything behind the flywheel? Thank you for your reply it gives me a place to start looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09643.JPG
  • DSC09646.JPG

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,286 Thanks
  • 17,852 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 01:50 PM

Thats definitely points ignition, nothing behind the flywheel

I suspect all your issues are in the points box

The box is clipped on and there should be a solid gasket behind the cover which keeps out the dirt

• Husky and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#12 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 02:59 PM

Yes that sounds right. I can't wait to open that box up. I'll keep you posted thank you.

#13 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,958 Thanks
  • 2,241 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yes that sounds right. I can't wait to open that box up. I'll keep you posted thank you.

Hope you don't find any really tiny mice inside.

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 06:38 PM

No tiny mice lol. But upon inspection I found that the terminal stud that goes through the points housing was not isolated from ground. A light mist of oil leaked in there and I think it is grounding the terminal stud. I started to remove the terminal stud and it is coated in oil along with the square insulating washer. I'm going to remove the points and clean everything. The I need to see why oil leaks past the breaker arm push pin that goes into the case against the cam. It could be a plugged crankcase breather. Hopefully I get spark by the weekend.
  • blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#15 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted May 25, 2017 - 07:31 PM

Oil wont cause any thing to short out clean oil is an insulator. oil on the points could cause pore and intermittent contact. Condenser can also cause week spark. Don