• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dink OFFLINE  

Dink
  • Member No: 86997
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 09:52 AM

I have a Kubota deck, RC54-G20. I need the gearbox that attaches to the center pulley.
My question is will the gearbox on a RC44 or RC48 deck work on my RC54-G20 deck?
Thanks,
Dink

#2 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • Member No: 42387
  • 12 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 10:57 AM

I have swapped decks between mowers models but not gear boxes. That being said if the spline and hole in the desk aligns you are mostly there. The problem might be the bolt holes, which you can mod and possibly the shaft length.

Considering the cost of getting the "right" gear box some modifications would be preferable.

Rebuilding the gear box is not difficult. Speaking from experience check the fluid often, those seals will fail if they are slightly off. They will hold for many uses and then fail. Your first clue is matted black clippings near the shaft.

#3 Dink OFFLINE  

Dink
  • Member No: 86997
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 12:39 AM

No sign of leaking. The center blade that's attached to this gearbox cuts about 1 and 1/2" inches lower than the two outside blades. It actually ride's on top of the ground mostly.
From the top of the deck I noticed up and down play on this pulley. I can put a pry bar underneath the center pulley and can pry the pulley up around 1 1/2 inches, the shaft is actually sliding in and out of the gearbox. When I release, the pulley drops back down. I guess the bearings in the gearbox is worn out.
I can get a rebuilt one for a 48 inch deck at a good price. The seller said it would fit.
I thought I would get a second opinion before ordering.