4 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,726 Thanks
  • 2,599 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 08:05 PM

Fellow member Don (Truck21) recently picked up a 1977 John Deere 208 and asked me if I'd be interested in restoring the serial number tag for him. He stated that it would be a challenge as it had been covered over by the previous owner with unknown layers of green paint. Well, after seeing the tag I accepted and immediately went to work on it. Here is what the tag looked like before taking it off of the tractor:

208 Serial Tag.jpg

First thing I started to do was to remove the green from the raised lettering, the serial number bar, and outer perimeter edging, mostly to see how well the aluminum finish would be:

IMG_20170519_205102450.jpg

Once that was done and I was satisfied that the aluminum would finish out nice, I then started removing the rest of the green paint from the remaining tag. Wanting to determine how well the original black base coat would look:

IMG_20170520_095907595.jpg

After finding that the black base coat had too many scratches, I then decided to strip all of the base coat off down to the bare aluminum and start off with a new base coat:

jd1.jpg

Once the tag was stripped and cleaned, I started applying a couple of thin layers of new base coat:

jd2.jpg

The tag sat for a little while, not fully cured, but not tacky either. Here is where the fun begins. I use a flat head dentist pick and carefully start removing the unwanted black paint from the raised lettering, the serial number bar, and outer perimeter edging, just like I did above when removing the green paint. When all of the black paint is removed, I carefully shine up the exposed aluminum areas with a fine steel wool pad. When everything suits me and looks good, I then apply two coats of clear finish to the tag and do a little polishing. here is the tag after the two clear coats of finish. 

jd3.jpg

• tractorgarden, sacsr, WHdbJD and 5 others have said thanks

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,726 Thanks
  • 2,599 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 08:07 PM

Not sure what happened, but if a Moderator is reading this, could you rotate the last three pictures for me. I don't know why they posted sideways like this. 

Thank you! 

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 21, 2017 - 08:07 PM.

• truck21 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 726 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 06:16 PM

Great job my friend. They should be using this for an article in the Lawn & Garden Mag.
  • MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#4 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,939 Thanks
  • 1,799 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 06:27 PM

Better not do so good of a job on those. Next thing you know, a John Deere lawyer will be sending you a Cease and Desist letter. ;-)
  • MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#5 pacubcadet OFFLINE  

pacubcadet
  • Member No: 87016
  • 58 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 08:37 AM

That looks simply amazing. I would never have the guts to do this to any of my serial tags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • johndeereelfman said thank you