• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,032 Thanks
  • 2,725 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 02:28 PM

My idea is to find a Pipe with 1-9/16 od and a pipe with 1-9/16 ID and make a tool to go one a press and make the seals myself. Problem is the ID pipe is only 0.95 thickness which is way to thin to press. Any ideas ?

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,032 Thanks
  • 2,725 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 02:37 PM

I didn't to account for the thickness of the steel used to make the seals so I need a bigger ID pipe.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,734 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 06:49 PM

What?? Make seals??  How you make rubber lips with spring? OR, maybe one could make sandwiched felt like the old days on big tractors??  Not really following this idea I guess.  Can't just go to bearing house with dimensions and see if some already in the market?  I've done that and with bearings also.

#4 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,032 Thanks
  • 2,725 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 07:18 PM

What?? Make seals??  How you make rubber lips with spring? OR, maybe one could make sandwiched felt like the old days on big tractors??  Not really following this idea I guess.  Can't just go to bearing house with dimensions and see if some already in the market?  I've done that and with bearings also.

These seals are like a washer but with a lip no rubber. I can't find them anywhere. 

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 09:04 PM

http://www.searstrac...s/917253250.pdf

Grab that manual.

And Here is the seal dimensions.Yes they are supposed to have rubber on them lol. Rubber part of the seals on my 42" deck spindles were long gone gone to.They look much like a Kohler crank seal.

Seals are 22mm x 45mm x 7mm (ID x OD x Thickness)

SKF 8563

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00460GW1Q

Thanks to member Utah Smitty for doing the hard work.

http://gardentractor...bearings-seals/

Edited by EricFromPa, May 21, 2017 - 09:04 PM.

• bbuckler said thank you

#6 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,032 Thanks
  • 2,725 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 09:13 PM

http://www.searstrac...s/917253250.pdf

Grab that manual.

And Here is the seal dimensions.Yes they are supposed to have rubber on them lol. Rubber part of the seals on my 42" deck spindles were long gone gone to.They look much like a Kohler crank seal.

Seals are 22mm x 45mm x 7mm (ID x OD x Thickness)

SKF 8563

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00460GW1Q

Thanks to member Utah Smitty for doing the hard work.

http://gardentractor...bearings-seals/

Will it fit the center spindle too ?

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 09:56 PM

Will fit but it's going to be pretty tight on the shaft.Use a small pick and lube to get the seal started over the shaft so it doesn't try to roll or rip on the threads. People were using the 881R seals to replace the NLA 882R seals years ago but the 881R seals are now NLA as well.

I got lucky when i did the 42" deck I had.There was a fella on Ebay that was selling rebuild kits for the Suburban decks. I paid $110 shipped for 6 sets of bearings and races and 6 seals.Took alot of the guess work out of it and I got everything at once so it was definitely worth it.

Any decent machine shop or even Napa can hook you up with the correct size seals. Just bring your spindle with you and they will match up a set for you.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 21, 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#8 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 41 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 11:25 PM

HEY FELLOWS YALL ARE LOOSING ME, IN THE PAST 5 YEARS I HAVE RESTORED 20 SUBURBANDS, ELECTROLIS TANK AND ALL, DECKS AS WELL, HAD AS MANY AS 30 SPINDLES TORN DOWN AT SAME TIME, SPENT ALMOST A YEAR ON DECKS, SO I HAVE SEEN INSIDE A FEW, THIS RUBBER SEAL THING IS BOTHERING ME, ROPER DIDN'T USE RUBBER SEALS ONLY METAL SLINGERS LISTED AS SEALS, YES I HAVE MANUALS, THE IDEA WAS TO FILL WITH GREASE OFTEN, YES IT WOULD LOOSE SOME OUT THE BOTTOM, DIDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO SEALS SO WAS CAREFUL TO SALVAGE ALL TOP AND AS MANY BOTTOMS AS POSSIBLE FOR RE USE ON BOTTOM SIDE FIRST, TELL ME ABOUT HOW YOU GOT THE BOTTOM BEARING RACE OUT OF THE CUP AND SAVE THE CUP, I FOUND SOME DEEP CUP FREEZE PLUGS THAT COULD BE DRILLED 3/4" & 7/8" WITH A BIT OF HAMMER WORK OVER AN IMPACT SOCKET FOR FLATTENING WORKS AS WELL AS NEW, WHEN I WAS NEW TO SEARS SUBURBANS 30 YEARS AGO DIDN'T THINK ABOUT SPINDLES NOT BEING WATER PROOF, DROVE INTO A RAIN WATER POND IN MY YARD, ENGAGED THE DECK TO SLING WATER LIKE A KID AND WOUND UP WITH RUSTY SPINDLE BEARINGS, THE DECKS BEFORE EARLY 1970 HAD NO SLINGERS ONLY THICK FLAT WASHERS THAT FILLED THE HOUSING

HAVE A GOOD ONE JIMMY

• bbuckler said thank you

#9 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,032 Thanks
  • 2,725 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 07:40 AM

HEY FELLOWS YALL ARE LOOSING ME, IN THE PAST 5 YEARS I HAVE RESTORED 20 SUBURBANDS, ELECTROLIS TANK AND ALL, DECKS AS WELL, HAD AS MANY AS 30 SPINDLES TORN DOWN AT SAME TIME, SPENT ALMOST A YEAR ON DECKS, SO I HAVE SEEN INSIDE A FEW, THIS RUBBER SEAL THING IS BOTHERING ME, ROPER DIDN'T USE RUBBER SEALS ONLY METAL SLINGERS LISTED AS SEALS, YES I HAVE MANUALS, THE IDEA WAS TO FILL WITH GREASE OFTEN, YES IT WOULD LOOSE SOME OUT THE BOTTOM, DIDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO SEALS SO WAS CAREFUL TO SALVAGE ALL TOP AND AS MANY BOTTOMS AS POSSIBLE FOR RE USE ON BOTTOM SIDE FIRST, TELL ME ABOUT HOW YOU GOT THE BOTTOM BEARING RACE OUT OF THE CUP AND SAVE THE CUP, I FOUND SOME DEEP CUP FREEZE PLUGS THAT COULD BE DRILLED 3/4" & 7/8" WITH A BIT OF HAMMER WORK OVER AN IMPACT SOCKET FOR FLATTENING WORKS AS WELL AS NEW, WHEN I WAS NEW TO SEARS SUBURBANS 30 YEARS AGO DIDN'T THINK ABOUT SPINDLES NOT BEING WATER PROOF, DROVE INTO A RAIN WATER POND IN MY YARD, ENGAGED THE DECK TO SLING WATER LIKE A KID AND WOUND UP WITH RUSTY SPINDLE BEARINGS, THE DECKS BEFORE EARLY 1970 HAD NO SLINGERS ONLY THICK FLAT WASHERS THAT FILLED THE HOUSING

HAVE A GOOD ONE JIMMY

A freeze plug looks like it would work perfect.