• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kramson51 OFFLINE  

kramson51

• Member No: 4134
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hi everyone, I just started this kind of adventure of Old garden tractors. :confuse: I have enjoyed looking at them for many years and use to own a 1965 Simplicity Landlord ( I think it was a Landlord). That was almost 20 years ago. But I have jumped into the fire with a 1969 MTD 149-860. It seems built a lot like a tank. Just what I wanted because I am going to use it a lot. I have a long driveway and need it for plowing in winter, and I am going to build a box blade to keep the gravel cleaned up for drainage and level. I also need it for mowing my lawn and my neighbours lawn I help him with. So I just picked this thing up last weekend. It is very complete, and starts , runs, and drives, but puffs a lot of smoke from exhaust. Has good power though. It has a Briggs model 300400 12HP Horizontial shaft cast iron engine in it that seems like it needs a rebuild. The block numbers line up with the tractor model number making it a 1969 engine. Does anyone have a good line on parts for these? Here is a couple of pictures of my find.

Mark

PICT0004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0002.jpg

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:05 AM

Welcome Mark. Nice MTD. The ones from that era are well built indeed. Yours looks very well cared for. Others will be by soon that can help you with your specific question. Glad you are here and thanks for the pictures.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Welcome, that 860 is the little brother to the 990 series like I have. They are tough tractors, not the crap the MTD is know for now days.

Your 860 looks to be very good shape.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Mark, very nice MTD you have. Like the others said it looks like it was well cared for. When you say it puffs smoke, is it oil smoke(bluish white) or black smoke(too rich)?

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Welcome kramson51! I too have an MTD 990 similar to Chuck's. Great tractors, just like yours is also!
This place is where I got the parts to rebuild my engine: Small Engine Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Marine Parts, ATV Parts, Dirt Bike Parts, Snowmobile Parts and More.
  • Chuck_050382 and AcreFarm have said thanks

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:35 AM

This place is where I got the parts to rebuild my engine: Small Engine Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Marine Parts, ATV Parts, Dirt Bike Parts, Snowmobile Parts and More.

Thanks for the link

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the link

No problem Chuck. I bought a few times from them. Got piston/rings/gaskets from them to rebuild mine.

#8 kramson51 OFFLINE  

kramson51

• 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 06:49 PM

It's oil smoke, the crankcase has so much backpressure it is filling the air filter with oil. I figure the rings are just gone. thanks for the reply. Mark

#9 kramson51 OFFLINE  

kramson51

• 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the parts supplier information. Mark

#10 kramson51 OFFLINE  

kramson51

• 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hi again, I need a PTO shaft coupler to go between the PTO on my 860 and the short shaft on the mower deck. I think it is called a coupler shaft(not sure on name). It would be female on both ends with a u-joint in between. The shaft is 3/4"X7/8" and would be held in place by a set screw. Would anyone out there have one of these or know where I could find one? Thanks much for the help. Mark PS If you would like pictures of the mower deck end of the pto shaft I can do that. :wave: