Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,753 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 02:31 PM

Maybe the more restrictive filter is required for the pump to work properly, hmmmm.

#32 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE, post 28,
...I stand corrected, and had to look at the filter and fuel line I purchased for Hulk II's overhaul. Apparently there is a difference and it is noted on the package...

Larry,
It was just that I had recently did some maintenance on some of my 'junque' and had looked up the numbers for the replacements, so I wasn't 'calling you out' - hope you didn't take it that way...
(besides, that was for mine, your unit may call for different specs...)  :thumbs:

QUOTE, post 31,
...Maybe the more restrictive filter is required...

gonna take me a minute to 'splain this:
if you use these numbers:
13.5955 Inches Of Water = 1 Inches Of Mercury
29.9213 inches of mercury = 1 atmosphere
1 atmosphere = 14.6959 pounds per square inch
1 gallon of gasoline weighs approx. 6.3 pounds, (whereas water is approx 8.34 pounds),

now, most fuel tanks are say 'bout a gallon, and barely sit above the bowl on the carburetor,
if you've ever pulled the hose off your tank, you may feel like there must be 50 pounds of pressure pushing on that fuel in the tank, BUT, it is actually approx. 0.2104 psi, (barely 2 tenths of a pound),  :poke:
WHEREAS, most of the little pulse pumps will come pretty close to about 1 - 2 psi...

so, with a pump, (with pressure), the filter will pass anything smallet than 75 microns,
(can stand the restriction), 
BUT, without a pump, (without pressure), the filter will pass anything smaller than 150 microns,
(any even minor restriction will shut the flow off)

a REAL BIG reason to change the fuel filter regularly!!!

• Cvans said thank you

#33 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 27 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE, post 28,
...I stand corrected, and had to look at the filter and fuel line I purchased for Hulk II's overhaul. Apparently there is a difference and it is noted on the package...

Larry,
It was just that I had recently did some maintenance on some of my 'junque' and had looked up the numbers for the replacements, so I wasn't 'calling you out' - hope you didn't take it that way...
(besides, that was for mine, your unit may call for different specs...)  :thumbs:

QUOTE, post 31,
...Maybe the more restrictive filter is required...

gonna take me a minute to 'splain this:
if you use these numbers:
13.5955 Inches Of Water = 1 Inches Of Mercury
29.9213 inches of mercury = 1 atmosphere
1 atmosphere = 14.6959 pounds per square inch
1 gallon of gasoline weighs approx. 6.3 pounds, (whereas water is approx 8.34 pounds),

now, most fuel tanks are say 'bout a gallon, and barely sit above the bowl on the carburetor,
if you've ever pulled the hose off your tank, you may feel like there must be 50 pounds of pressure pushing on that fuel in the tank, BUT, it is actually approx. 0.2104 psi, (barely 2 tenths of a pound),  :poke:
WHEREAS, most of the little pulse pumps will come pretty close to about 1 - 2 psi...

so, with a pump, (with pressure), the filter will pass anything smallet than 75 microns,
(can stand the restriction), 
BUT, without a pump, (without pressure), the filter will pass anything smaller than 150 microns,
(any even minor restriction will shut the flow off)

a REAL BIG reason to change the fuel filter regularly!!!

That's all true, however the filter isn't on the pressure side of the pump on any machine I've ever worked on, and that's a lot of mowers/GTs.  The fuel is still provided to the pump by a combination of gravity and atmospheric pressure.  The atomospheric pressure is what pushes the fuel through the lower micron filter.  The potential pressure is 14+ as you noted.  the actual pressure differential is dependent on the pump's performance.