11 replies to this topic

#1 tysonkad OFFLINE  

tysonkad
  • Member No: 81977
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi There,

I fired up my Massey 1650 this spring, and noticed that when starting out in high there is a brief higher pitched whining noise (not grinding) when starting from a stop and accelerating in forward or reverse. Doesn't last long, maybe a quick second or two. As far as I remember it wasn't doing it last year when I parked it. The noise doesn't happen when I'm in low.

As a side note, the transmission tends to fall out of gear when in high if it gets a little bumpy; stopping and putting it back in gear is no problem, but is there an easy remedy for this, aside from a bungee cord.

I started by swapping the hydro fluid and filter, but the noise is still there. The previous owner had told me the trans was rebuilt. Any ideas on what could be the cause, or if it's even anything to be concerned about?

Much appreciated,

Tyson

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 4,085 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 01:00 PM

Try Checking the Charge preussure per the  Sundstand manual in the manuals section.  Do the Hydraulic lift work ok?

• DMAX and tysonkad have said thanks

#3 tysonkad OFFLINE  

tysonkad
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'll try that out when I get back to that farm, thanks!

Yes good lift on the 3PTH and the mower deck.

One of the caps on the hydraulic spool has a crack and a slow drip, which may be worth mentioning.

#4 Smithrp OFFLINE  

Smithrp
  • Member No: 85945
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 03:14 PM

I have a 1655 (since 1978) and it is still going strong. I use it to plow with in winter and mow in summer. Not the exact same model but must be simular. Years ago (1996) I had a similar problem and it turned out one of the main drive belts had broken,there are two of them. I tried several generic ones but could never get them to stop slipping. I bought one from MF, don't know if still available but the part number is (I saved the recipt) 3021289M91 and if you're replacing one you should probably replace two if this turns out to be the problem.
  • DMAX and tysonkad have said thanks

#5 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 445 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 07:43 PM

Try Checking the Charge preussure per the  Sundstand manual in the manuals section.  Do the Hydraulic lift work ok?

1650 use Eaton 11.
  • ducky, limebuzz and tysonkad have said thanks

#6 tysonkad OFFLINE  

tysonkad
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 11:49 PM

The drive shaft on the 1650 links straight to the transmission, and the double belts go up to the PTO shaft. I had the belts off so I can rule them out. On that note I would also think that if it were a driveshaft coupler that I would have a total failure, not just buzzing/whining when starting to accelerate.

I'll see if I can look into the manual for the Eaton 11 for some basic troubleshooting, Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
  • DMAX said thank you

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 4,085 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 06:27 PM

1650 use Eaton 11.

That is possible but all my 50 series have Sundstrands.

Eatons Charge pressure is about 80 psi measured in the hydraulic return.

• olcowhand and tysonkad have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,065 Thanks
  • 30,462 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 07:41 PM

1650 use Eaton 11.

Most Massey's have Sundstrand 15 inline units.  Some MF's did use the Eaton 11, and all Snapper versions I've seen have the Eaton.

• ducky and tysonkad have said thanks

#9 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 445 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 02:34 AM

Never seen a 50 series with a Sundstand, you will be better off if it is though, around here parts for Sundstand are easier to get.
  • tysonkad said thank you

#10 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 949 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 12:00 PM

The only MF XX50 I have seen are the first year production I have #71 of a 1450,and it has a sunstrand.
  • tysonkad said thank you

#11 tysonkad OFFLINE  

tysonkad
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 02:19 PM

When I get back out to the farm I'll double check on the type of hydro exactly, but I believe it is the Sundstand from comparing the two manuals. I'll be taking both manuals with me when I get back out for some troubleshooting and will update with how it goes!

• limebuzz said thank you

#12 tysonkad OFFLINE  

tysonkad
  • 15 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 08:17 AM

I think the issue had to do with the cracked spool cap, and in turn not enough pressure. I was tilling yesterday and noticed the valve for the 3 point had no resistance. By some luck I found the broken spool cap buried in the dirt! While I was driving back to the garage without the cap on the spool, the whining came in low gear (which it had never done before).

Cleaned it all up, and managed to use zip ties to keep the cap tight. The part that cracked was where the slots were for the screws. Tested it out - no leaks and no noise. I ran it for about 3 more hours after that and it held up way better than expected!

• olcowhand, DMAX, ducky and 1 other said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydro, hydrostatic, 1650, whining, gear, massey, noise, transmission