• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Hi All; once again the weater is cooperating and we are all getting some seat time, as some of you know im a wheel horse collector (generally) but i found i sears st 16 with 3 point hitch and sears 8hp tiller, deck is scrap but spindles move and appear ok, i have a ss16 with a good deck, between the 2 i should be able to make 1 good gt but which one is more collectable? both tiller and gt motors were stuck but the tiller freed up easily and gt was running but has not been used in 10 years, im thinking it should free up too. both need hood work, the ss is an onan 16hp (not a real fan) what motor is in the st 16, its a single cylinder, just say sears, i can spend a bit on this as i think i did ok at $174 can ($118 usd) ps what is the 3 point hitch worth? cant believe the internet prices im finding on it , anything from $300 to $500 usd

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,755 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 03:17 AM

Sears 3pts for those are $150 or less at shows. Easy to find. BUT, they are also little narrower, about 12"spread, taller top link,

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,641 Thanks
  • 4,705 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 04:23 AM

ST 16 is a Tecumseh engine

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 05:56 AM

The single cylinder is a tecumseh oh16. Very powerful engine that is responsive. Fatal flaw is the same reason it's so quick to recover... overhead valves. It also has the electronic CDI ignition.
Always run that engine just a little rich as it'll help keep the valve seats intact. I've never had one do it, but some say they can work free in an engine that overheats. Also, keep the airfins clean, oil changes, etc.

I have an onan 18 and a tec oh160 and while the onans are smoother, I swear the teccy has more umpfh.

The 3 point used to $75 around here, they are climbing, but not 300.
That's the "I don't want to look for one, so I'll just buy it on eBay" price.
Some tiller tractors had a different 3 point. It's 15" long c-c instead of 18". Some also had floating lift arms ( the tiller will jump, and the handle will come up and whack you in the elbow. Almost broke mine the other nite.) no idea on retail for those. Uncommon, but that doesn't always mean more expensive.

If the tiller runs, has all its teeth, and isn't bea to death, I've seen 200 here. They made a wide one with endshaft bearings thet is a little more sought after because it covers wheel tracks.

Good machines, one could be your tiller tractor and the other the mower. There, now you have a reason to keep both :D
  • stormcloud said thank you