• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 60 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:14 AM

Can someone walk me through the process of doing a rebuild on a U-joint? I think I have all the parts, but pictures, techniques, and anybody's personal experiences would be appreciated!

The U-joint in question is the 'tube frame PTO --> implement shaft' joint.

Thanks!

#2 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 06:54 PM

There are two different bearing caps used on tube frame PTO's depending on the cap diameter - .938" or .970" - so make sure you have the correct U joint kit before you start.  They use four inside locks (snap rings) that have to be removed from a groove in the bearing cap and then you can press the caps out of the yoke.  Here is a link to a how to on the internet that describes the process better than I can - http://www.biopatent.com/ujoint.html .  They show driving the caps out with a socket but you can use a bench vise or press to push them out.  Make sure you orient the grease fitting in the new yoke the same way it is in the old one and be careful you do not distort the ears when you are removing and installing the caps.  Also be careful that all the needles stay in the caps when you are installing them and don't get knocked out of place and trapped between the end of the cross and the inside of the cap - if they get jammed you will not be able to get the snap rings in as the caps will not go into the yoke far enough. 

• Bruce Dorsi, Cvans, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 5,433 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 07:10 PM

Once you get the thing assembled and the rings installed..  Try to move the joint..  If it binds give the shaft a good whack with a hammer and things will line up and the joint will align and work better..  

• Cvans, boyscout862, ClassicBolens and 2 others have said thanks

#4 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 60 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the tips. I just bought a tractor with a blown joint and am hoping to salvage it. I've got extras, but I figure why not learn how to repair it and save the extras for when something breaks at an inconvenient time.