7 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:54 AM

I'm trying to get this air cooled outboard running for a friend. The carb was pretty gunked up with green varnish. I've had it soaking in seafoam overnite. The question I have is: this carb has no throttle plate, only a choke which is located between the venturi and the reed valve. The twist grip on the tiller is connected to linkage that appears to rotate the mag under the flywheel to vary the timing for speed control. Am I correct in this assumption? I've never seen a setup like this. My old Evinrude changes the timing in conjunction with moving the throttle plate. I've cleaned everything possible in the carb with my blowgun and torch tip cleaner and the only way it will start and run is if I  spray gas in the carb throat then it starts and runs until that is used up. It has a gas tank mounted on it that gravity feeds the carb but one sticker mentions using a remote tank but I see no evidence of there ever being a pulse fuel pump for the remote tank connection. The carb is a bowl type like seen on 1,000's of Tecumseh 2 strokes so no internal pump in it. I'll clean and reassemble the carb this morning and try it again. Any tips on this will be appreciated!!

Mike

#2 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 274 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Beware! Those ignition systems have the same issues as the 4 stroke Techmseh's. Don't try to check for spark without having the spark plug connected and grounded, it will wipe out the electronic ignition. I found out the expensive way on a Sears Ted Williams (eska) 9.9 outboard.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Can you post a photo of what your working with?

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,884 Thanks
  • 2,492 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 11:53 AM

Diaphragm carb or float style? Tecumseh like diaphragm carbs on alot of their 2 cycles

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 12:19 PM

The carb is float style, no diaphragm. I cleaned and reassembled this AM after an overnite soak in seafoam. I blew the blowgun in the wrong hole and popped the primer bulb but can probably locate another. Reinstalled, squirted some gas in and starts and runs fine now. The gas tank has leaks around the crimped seam so I'll put some low pressure air on it and use some soapy water to find the leaks, clean those ares well with the dremel and acetone and seal with JB weld. I think then it'll be ready to go fishin'.

Mike

#6 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 04:59 PM

Update: Got a new primer bulb and bowl gasket, installed them, installed the carb and started 'er up . Ran very rough like it was running lean. Decided it was running great this AM without the primer so took the new one out. started 'er up and it runs like a clock again. Makes me scratch my head!! I'm guessing the primer check valve under welch plug is fubar and is letting air thru it. I'm just gonna tell my buddy to keep a can of starting fluid handy if needed for cold starts. I'll stick it back in the test tank tomorrow to check on the cold start.

Mike

Edit: I found the tank leak with 2 psi air and soapy water, it was a rusted spot in a corner. Cleaned it up good with a diamond stone in the dremel, washed it good with acetone and applied some epoxy. Stopped the leak. It probably wasn't leaking before I cleaned the inside with a handful of 3/8" nuts and gas.

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, May 18, 2017 - 10:18 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,884 Thanks
  • 2,492 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 06:28 PM

never heard of using seafoam as a soaking agent.

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:43 PM

never heard of using seafoam as a soaking agent.

This is the second varnished carb I've used it on and success so far.

Mike

• KennyP said thank you