Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 09:40 PM

I picked this up on our local online classifieds after a friend tipped me off. It's a Dayton 3Z678A 8200D S/N 41-013-0557.  I'm not sure when it was made..

It's very similar to a MTD 995--Peerless 2500 series hydrostatic transmission, 2-speed axle, B&S Flat twin 18hp with driveline, and front and mid PTO.  Also has a 3PH.

It has a 60" Ford scraper blade that came with it, and has front shaft and linkage for tiller--Wish I knew what happened to the tiller.

IMG_20170517_175327962.jpg

IMG_20170517_175332983.jpg IMG_20170517_175305490.jpg

It has the right side panel as well--I just took it off to get to the fuel tank when I was starting the engine.

The PO said it needed new tires--boy he wasn't kidding.  Most GTs I find have weather checked tires and they tend to soldier on for years, but this one had been left to sit and the nice (and expensive) Goodyear 29-12.00 x 15 tires split where they had gone flat.  Even so the front and rear tires on the left side held air... not so on the right.

When I took off the rear tires I noticed the right rim also had several rust holes in it... some of which the PO had tried to repair with JB Weld. I took them to the tire shop and the inside of both rims were just heavy pitted rust.  They cleaned up the rust on the one with the hole enough to put a tube in, so I can at least move the tractor, but it'll wear through the tube pretty quickly.

I got the engine started Monday by pulling the top off the carb and filling the bowl with fuel.  Started up and ran without letting any of the blue smoke escape and didn't hear any knocks so I'm hoping it's okay.  The hydrostatic tranny does move the tractor in forward and reverse--the flat tires not-withstanding.

The fiberglass dash is all weathered although the stickers are still on it and in relatively good shape.  I need to coat it with gelcoat or something, cause I've rubbed against it a couple times and had to deal with a fiberglass rash as a result--and yes, that's snow on the dash... it's been snowing off and on all day today.

IMG_20170517_175340974_HDR.jpg

So, anyway, another project for me to tinker with.  I may put my Bolens tiller on it and use it to help the neighbors till their gardens.  The Bolens isn't running, plus with the FEL and the not so great turning radius, it's not very handy in confined spaces.

I've posted some pictures of it... they show the used 15" tires I had the shop put on it... I'll probably have to get some 5 hole hubs and convert it over to 12" wheels like I did on my previous Dayton.

Dayton New Wheels RH.jpg

If anyone has any other suggestions on what type of tires and wheels to put on it, let me know.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 17, 2017 - 09:48 PM.

• KennyP, Merle013, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#2 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 1,045 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 10:09 PM

Good find!  I like the Ford 3 pt. scraper!  Is the scraper a Cat 0?

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 10:39 PM

Good find!  I like the Ford 3 pt. scraper!  Is the scraper a Cat 0?

Yes, it has Cat 0 pins, though it may have started life as a Cat 1.

Smitty

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,353 Thanks
  • 9,730 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 10:58 PM

This where I got the tires for my Simplicity 4041, but the shipping would be a killer.

https://www.k-bid.co...n/19996/item/16
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 06:42 AM

Thanks. Those are the right size, but freight would probably be a killer.

Smitty

#6 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,891 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 06:57 AM

Didn't Dayton make electric motors?

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:32 PM

Didn't Dayton make electric motors?

Dayton is the house brand of industrial supply firm W W Grainger.
  • karel said thank you

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 10:41 PM

So, I got the fuel system hooked up today and started the ol' girl up.  Wasn't long before fuel was flooding out of the carb vents.  I pulled to top of the carp and looked at the float valve.  It had been pushed up into the float seat so much that there was a ring around it.

I put another float valve in it, and a new bowl gasket; checked the float level (both sides of the float are supposed to be even per the manual)--everything okay there.

I put her back together and she started and ran, but seemed to be missing... sure enough, no heat coming out of the right side cylinder bank.  I pulled the plug and checked it, and it seemed to be firing okay... put her back in and the same thing... Changed the plug and she started firing on both cylinders...

Then...... she started flooding out of the carb vents again.... I'm at a loss as to what to do... it has a brass float, so there's no problems that tended to happen with the plastic float....there's an inline filter in the fuel line, so crud can't be getting into it...

Anyone have any ideas as to what to do next?????

Thanks,

Smitty

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 1,045 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 12:21 AM

Did you check the float for any holes?  Submerge it in some water and look for any air bubbles or any change in it's buoyance.  Did you replace the fuel line from the filter to the carb?  Decomposed rubber can flake off from the inside of a hose and cause all kinds of problems with the carb.  Good luck!

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 12:48 AM

I have had more problems with bras floats than plastic. Small cracks and pinholes sink the float. I take the float out and shake it. if it has enough gas in it to be causing the flooding you should feel/hear the splashing. I  sometimes use a heat gun or just lay the float in the sun to get it warm. If you warm it slightly and shake it the increased pressure in the float will make some of the gas come out and it is very easy to detect. The carburetor only floods from to much gas getting by the float valve so that has to be where the problem is. Don

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dayton, 3z678, 995, mtd