• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:19 AM

JD400. I will certainly keep your offer in mind. I would like to try just for the sake of a challenge to get this engine running. If I find it is shot or beyond repair I will be sending you a pm. Thanks

#17 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 24 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:56 AM

you could also try shooting something like pb blaster thru the injectors - to get to the cylinders, you probably do need to pull the injectors

#18 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Im going to pull the injectors off and take them to a shop for a rebuild.  At that time I will start lubing up the cylinders with some form of oil.  Whenever I can find a manual on this engine I have to see about the rest of the injection system  Haven't had  time lately to check things over.  

#19 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 55 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 09:55 PM

A while back there were some tests documented on the web of what worked "best" for freeing up rusted/locked machinery.

IIRC auto transmission oil mixed 50/50 with solvent worked best by a fair margin. Do a search for the details.

And post some pics of this gem. :)

Dan 

#20 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:30 PM

DL-North, I was going to use marvel mystery oil but after doing research on the intenet I think i will try the atf and acetone.  I have read about that mix being a very good method of freeing rusted things in the past and will try it.  At this point I have nothing to loose.  I will post how I made out soon.  Probably will try tomorrow evening to start freeing up and clean things.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,268 Thanks
  • 42,719 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 05:27 AM

DL-North, I was going to use marvel mystery oil but after doing research on the intenet I think i will try the atf and acetone.  I have read about that mix being a very good method of freeing rusted things in the past and will try it.  At this point I have nothing to loose.  I will post how I made out soon.  Probably will try tomorrow evening to start freeing up and clean things.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

I always keep some of that around and it does a good job.

#22 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 24 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 08:31 AM

just did a quick search- be careful with the acetone as it could dissolve/damage some rubber parts - seem like a lot of folks like just the ATF and time to free things up - since this engines been waiting for "years" for attention, few days soaking couldn't hurt

#23 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 921 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 10:11 PM

Be forewarned that getting the injectors rebuilt may not be cheap. IIRC, it cost me $200 for the pair.

#24 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 03:02 AM

Update on the wisconsin diesel engine.  After having a chance to inspect the engine, I probably will not be able to use it.  The tractor sat in a shed for so long that anything that is aluminum on the engine is severely corroded.  The cylinder head has fins that are corroded away, the block actually has deterioration, all aluminum shrouds are half rotted out.  Was able to get one injector out but the other just will not budge.  The starter is frozen into the block.  Behind the flywheel was piles of aluminum corrosion dust.  The tractor itself is not in bad condition other than some surface rust with the exception of the hydraulic control valve handles rusted with corrosion at the pin that holds them onto the valve.  Not too worried about that, should be able to get it free.  One of the rear aux lines leaking fluid.  I think this is a case of a repower.  

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#25 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 921 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 01:52 PM

Too bad the condition is so poor; maybe try to find another WD2-860?

#26 nsengineer ONLINE  

nsengineer
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 08:35 AM

Another member here has graciously offered me another Wisconsin diesel but I just do not have the cash at this moment for a diesel. I found an Onan p220 performer with low hours and for real reasonable money. That may just be a great repower for the time being. When the time comes I can buy a Wisconsin diesel if one is avail and sell the Onan. When done properly, I can repower and not change the tractor at all. It will just take some long term planning for engine attachment and fabbing
  • KennyP said thank you