• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 10:51 AM

Hi All,  A close friend of mine has had an HT20D since new.  The tractor had sat since 2003 due to it being hard to start at the time.  He was in the process of moving and didnt have room to take it and I managed to talk him into me purchasing it from him.  My intentions for the tractor is hopefully to restore to its former glory as an all original diesel.  As everyone knows the parts availability for the Wisconin WD2-860 diesel are pretty much non existant in the US.  I have called all around trying to locate someone who has even the basic parts such as head gaskets etc with no avail. The tractor ran when parked but now the engine is locked up.  I believe it is rusted rings to the cylinder walls.  The oil was very clean and the oil filter was pretty clean as well.    I would love to have this engine running again but am not against some form of repower.  As far as a repower it would take some fabbing to fit just about any engine in there because the Wisconsin has 3 brackets mounted to the sides and rear of engine using rubber mounts like an Eliminator vs the Kohler K series using a plate and bolting from the pan.  If anyone here has any leads to someone who can still get parts it would be appriciated.  I also tried downloading the Wisconsin Diesel service manual and parts manual but it tells me I either dont have permission or that i've used my allotted band width for the day or week.  Thanks.

• LPBolens, stiemmy, slf-uk and 2 others have said thanks

#2 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 1,038 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 11:31 AM

http://gardentractor...-repower/page-2 Best I can do. Don

#3 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 12:15 PM

Try again on the downloads. It sometimes gives me the same messages. Good Luck, Rick

#5 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 01:50 PM

Any pictures of the beast  :thumbs:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 2,658 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yeah :camera: please. :D

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 02:44 PM

Not any pictures yet, came to me in some pieces, hood, rear fender pan off, engine is now out. etc

#8 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 73 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 02:51 PM

try getting some marvel mystery oil into the cylinders - let it sit for a few days and see if it will spin - also put some MMO on the valve shafts to be sure they'll move - worth a "shot"

• BolensHorse72 said thank you

#9 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 03:13 PM

thanks for the advise on the MMO.  When I get the heads off i will certainly do that.

#10 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 03:16 PM

Secondtry, I sent a message to the link you sent and he ended up putting a Lombardi diesel from an Allis Chalmers in his HT20D.  Appriciate the lead though.  More options to look for.

• secondtry said thank you

#11 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 03:19 PM

I will see what pictures I can come up with.  It was a fairly unmolested tractor but definitly had rust on it.  I think the tractor is worth the effort to repair even without the Wisconsin engine.  The bull gear has almost no play in it and the pto linkage actually moves.  Will need to rewire when I decide what engine option i go with, even If i get the wisconsin running

#12 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 03:55 PM

Before you take the heads off, take the injectors out and put MMO into the cylinders that way. You may get the engine to free up without removing the heads. By the way, having sat that long, there is a very good chance the injectors are gummed up. My local diesel injector service shop was able to rebuild my injectors; your local shop should be able to do the same.

#13 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 04:36 PM

Any kind of oil, and time will be essential tools to try to free the engine.

#14 JD 400 OFFLINE  

JD 400
  • Member No: 85607
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 06:19 PM

I have two Wisconsin diesels, one from a Bolens and the other from a piece of equipment. Both run good. I would sell them if you are interested.

#15 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 67 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:17 AM

LPBolens. I will use the route of oil through the injectors. That will save the need of a head gasket as well as other gaskets. I will also look for a diesel shop as well. I think that is why it was hard to start and running poorly in the first place.
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you