16 replies to this topic

#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 03:02 PM

This is a great product for the avid outdoor enthusiast. Weather your mowing, plowing, doing other things on a tractor, or just enjoying the outdoors, this product could quite possibly be a life saver.

The application is simple. If you have the spray, spray it on a set of clothes, and let it dry. The spray lasts around 6 washes. So my tip is to try to wash that set as little as possible. This spray protects you from ticks, mosquitoes and chiggers, other flies, etc. It works the same as bug spray, but is twice as effective. With all of the diseases carried by mosquitoes, and ticks, you lessen your risk of getting ticks mosquitoes, etc on you, reducing your risk of obtaining the diseases. It is rather cheap, for what you get. I paid around 12 dollars, cant quite remember the price. My dad is living proof this stuff works. When wearing the clothing that the permetherin has been applied to, he has gotten 0 ticks. As you wear and wash the clothes more, the effectiveness goes down im sure. For extra protection, why not apply your favorite bug spray, on top of the permetherin? 

This is not a paid advertisement. 

• MH81, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 735 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 03:26 PM

Search around on the Internet. There's companies that will treat your clothes and it lasts up to 50 washes. I did that when I was going to South America on a regular basis. Beats getting malaria and taking the malaria preventative drug protocol.
  • oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,091 Thanks
  • 2,805 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 04:37 PM

Watching Billy the Exterminator again on TV? He always uses and endorses the use of Permetherin.

It does work very very good and fast.And it's pet and people safe.My brother uses it on his little munsters (kids) clothing from time to time because the youngest one brang home a pretty nasty infestation of lice from school.Makes me itch just thinking about it.

• MH81 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,788 Thanks
  • 8,917 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 05:48 PM

If used on hunter's clothing, does it have an odor detectable by deer?

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 05:54 PM

If used on hunter's clothing, does it have an odor detectable by deer?

While you can smell it, its not bad, and they do have an odorless permetherin, so if smell is a concern, you could buy that instead of normal.

#6 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,822 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 08:30 PM

Anybody check out the MSDS on it? It sounds like scary stuff.  then @ 2:00 min. later, YUP,  Its a carcinogen.

Edited by karel, May 16, 2017 - 08:36 PM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#7 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 08:34 PM

Anybody check out the MSDS on it? It sounds like scary stuff.

How so? Its not any different than bug spray, and thats an every day commodity 

#8 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,957 Thanks
  • 9,514 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 04:31 AM

Unless I'm missing something, the risk from this product comes from ingestion. So, don't eat your shirt.
  • Talntedmrgreen, LilysDad and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 724 Thanks
  • 595 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 08:36 AM

For pets they have a vaccination for Lyme disease but not for humans.

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,788 Thanks
  • 8,917 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 10:49 AM

Why would you need to vaccinate your dog from humans???

#11 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 12:10 PM

Why would you need to vaccinate your dog from humans???

Its against the lyme disease. not humans. Im guessing your comment is sarcasm lol

#12 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 94 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 12:34 PM

EVERYONE,
"spoiler alert" - NOT trying to start a "flame-war" here, BUT, THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME, so, "whatever will be will be..."

QUOTE:
...Anybody check out the MSDS on it?...

QUOTE:
...And it's pet and people safe...

permethrin

...Domestic animals
Pesticide-grade permethrin is toxic to cats. Many cats die after being given flea treatments intended for dogs, or by contact with dogs having recently been treated with permethrin. In cats it may induce hyperexcitability, tremors, seizures, and death.
Toxic exposure of permethrin can cause several symptoms, including convulsion, hyperaesthesia, hyperthermia, hypersalivation, and loss of balance and coordination. Exposure to pyrethroid-derived drugs such as permethrin requires treatment by a veterinarian, otherwise the poisoning is often fatal. This intolerance is due to a defect in glucuronosyltransferase, a common detoxification enzyme in other mammals (that also makes the cat intolerant to paracetamol and many essential oils). The use of any external parasiticides based on permethrin is contraindicated for cats. (Cat ecotoxicology : cutaneous 100 mg/kg - oral 200 mg/kg.)...

c'mon guys, let's NOT keep perpetrating all the 'urban myths/legends' - especially when you are already sitting at a keyboard!

How hard is it to do the google thingy?
 - About 2,940,000 results (0.51 seconds) - for cryin' out loud, that's barely a half a second
AND - it's P-E-R-M-E-T-H-R-I-N - only 2 e's in the word...

the "I believe" - "I think" - or just stating something that is patently false that is so easily checked makes other things you have to say about other subjects just a bit questionable, don'cha think???  :D

Think about it guys, put it on your clothes - keeps the whatevers off, okay!!!, 
BUT, does your cat ever rub-up against your leg?, have you ever seen a cat that didn't clean itself?, oh well...

Personally, BOTH of my little ones are very important to me, even the "damn cat" I didn't want that came with the little pom I did want... :wallbanging:
now, well, EVERY night when I'm turning in, as soon as my head hits the pillow, my liitle girl is right there to ALWAYS give me one of those "butterfly-good-night-kiss"...
(And I don't even have to have a pork-chop tied around my neck!!!)  :poke:

I think it's just like anything else we have to deal with today, you have to think it through, consider the pros AND the cons - 

ja'notice all the commercials on tv for all the NEW and IMPROVED wonder drugs today -
1 minute of how good the drug is, THEN, 5 minutes of all the side effects and downfalls of using it???

scary, huh?

#13 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 03:32 PM

Your not supposed to spray it on your dogs

#14 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,814 Thanks
  • 3,361 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 07:20 AM

That stuff is a nerve agent and if introduced internally can cause serious nerveous system damage... you dont want bugs on you use citrus oil or peppermint oil...
  • shorty said thank you

#15 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 07:31 PM

That stuff is a nerve agent and if introduced internally can cause serious nerveous system damage... you dont want bugs on you use citrus oil or peppermint oil...

This seems like a common thing, just DONT INGEST lol, you spray it on your clothes, when they are off, not on.