• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Garyk OFFLINE  

Garyk

• Member No: 4133
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:47 PM

I recently acquired a MF 1655. I've replaced all the electrical components and got my wires screwed up to the ignition switch. I have a Snapper manual however the wiring colors are not the same. I don't know which wires go to what spade. I have a large yellow wire, a red/wht wire, a wht/wht wire, purple wire and a yellow/wht wire. I also installed a new 4 position ign switch that although looks the same as the old one, the space designations G,M,L etc are different! Can anyone out there help? I need someone to tell me what wires go to G, M, L, S and the last one not labeled.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Do you have a continuity tester? The purple wire is in connection with the pto switch. I just did the wiring on my 1655 a month or so ago but that was a Massey and I bypassed all of the safety switches and also installed a different motor.

The L will go to your lights, I am thinking the large yellow wire goes to your starter and would go to the S terminal. Please check continuity first. The one that isn't labeled, can you check it to see if it is hot when the ignition switch is turned on? If it goes hot then that would be your hot side to your coil.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:44 PM

DITTO to George.
If you Have a DVOM you should be able to get thing in line.
Your Switch should Have 5 terminals only 4 are used a B (B+),I (to coil Positive),S (to starter solenoid or relay),L ( to lights).
If you see a terminal labeled (M) somebody has the wrong style switch in the tractor.
I did not go look but I believe there is a schematic in our manual section under MF/Snapper. Check it out and if none let me know.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Good call ducky, that is the wrong switch. He has a magneto switch and the M terminal would go to the magneto and the G terminal would go to ground. I don't know where you are located but Napa carries all kinds of ignition switches.

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 09:03 PM

I usually use NAPA or who evers universal ING switch.
3 terminals B+, I, S, and A. With that you can make any coil type system run.
You can use B+ as ground and A as M terminal to short the mag and wire accordingly. This varies by application so be careful to do the meter work and understand what you are doing.

#6 Garyk OFFLINE  

Garyk

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 05:51 PM

I usually use NAPA or who evers universal ING switch.
3 terminals B+, I, S, and A. With that you can make any coil type system run.
You can use B+ as ground and A as M terminal to short the mag and wire accordingly. This varies by application so be careful to do the meter work and understand what you are doing.

I bought a B, I, S, A switch.
OK, you all helped a little. So far this is what I have and the tractor runs.
large yellow - BAT, purple - S, Wht/yel - I, wht/wht - lights. HOWEVER....I have one more set of wires left over, wht/red ( red comes from Rectifier-regulator. Where would I connect this one?

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 06:06 PM

I will go out to my 1655 and see if I can get all the wire colors and switch locations for you.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Alright I am going to try and make this work. If I have to I will draw a picture and post it. My switch has a plug on it and I can't promise that our wire colors are going to be the same.

Here is the layout of my switch looking at it from the terminal side, the | sign represents the terminal and if there was a letter assigned to it, it is to the right of it. It is a 5 terminal switch with 4 terminals in line with each other and the fifth one is to the right in between them.

|-M - |-A
----------- | - S
|-G - |

As you can see there is one terminal that is not labeled on my switch. The one that isn't labeled on my switch goes to the ammeter/batter and is a white wire.
M - goes to the positive side of the coil and on mine is a black wire
A - goes to the regulator and is a red wire on mine.
S - goes to the starter selonoid and is a blue wire on mine.
G - goes to the lights and is a yellow wire on mine.

If you have a continuity tester it will be easy to figure out. I have one that beeps when there is continuity which makes it easy so you don't have to be looking at a readout or seeing if a light comes on.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 06:43 PM

I bought a B, I, S, A switch.
OK, you all helped a little. So far this is what I have and the tractor runs.
large yellow - BAT, purple - S, Wht/yel - I, wht/wht - lights. HOWEVER....I have one more set of wires left over, wht/red ( red comes from Rectifier-regulator. Where would I connect this one?

With what you have listed your red wire coming from the regulator would go to the A terminal.

#10 Garyk OFFLINE  

Garyk

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the help with ignition switches guys. With the last wire to the A terminal it runs great. since I replaced all the electrical componants from the starter, coil, stator, voltage rectifier and switch it whould last a long time.

I have the 54 inch mower that I need to take apart and find out what's frozen. That's next on the agenda.

Coincidently, my son over heated the Gravely and blew up the k-301. Piston and con rod exploded. Had the crank turned and cylinder bored and am waiting for parts and pieces to come in to repair.

Thanks again all........