• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miracleman89 OFFLINE  

Miracleman89
  • Member No: 86908
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 10:07 AM

Mower blades will not engage. I got this jd recently with this problem. I thought it would be an easy seat switch fix bUT I was wrong. It started out killing the mower and the blades would not engage when the pto switch was flipped. I replaced the seat switch and now it just stays running but the blades won't engage. I put the old switch back in but it now does the same thing mower keeps running but blades won't engage. Any thoughts what the problem is? Not real good with electrical stuff so the "For dummies" explanation would be helpful.
  • Traill95 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,524 Thanks
  • 9,820 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 10:27 AM

With the key in the run position, but the engine off, can you hear the clutch 'click' on when you engage the pto switch?

#3 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,320 Thanks
  • 8,632 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 02:30 PM

Is your battery any good? If it doesn't have sufficient power going to the battery it will not engage the blades due to the amount of power it takes to work the clutch.

#4 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• Member No: 8763
  • 1,828 Thanks
  • 1,003 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 03:59 PM

Mower blades will not engage. I got this jd recently with this problem. I thought it would be an easy seat switch fix bUT I was wrong. It started out killing the mower and the blades would not engage when the pto switch was flipped. I replaced the seat switch and now it just stays running but the blades won't engage. I put the old switch back in but it now does the same thing mower keeps running but blades won't engage. Any thoughts what the problem is? Not real good with electrical stuff so the "For dummies" explanation would be helpful.

If it turns out to be the clutch I probably have one. I also have that mower deck. I use my 120 for yard work so don't have the deck on it nor use the clutch.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,383 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Could be the Key switch or the PTO switch or the PTO relay Or the PTO wiring Or the PTO Clutch it's self Or the Stator Or the Stator magnets.

Plastic Key Switch and PTO Switches don't like to get wet.They'll go bad pretty quick if the tractor sits outside.Both are under $20 each to replace.

Same cheap plastic key switch and PTO switch that's in the troybilt I just blew the engine in a month ago.

I would start by replacing the PTO switch.There $20 on Ebay but a JD dealer will sell you one for $40-$45.

http://www.ebay.com/...9PSFgSxtFhyP6Jg

If the Key switch is going bad the Charge indicator needle will randomly go from 0 to + charge while running.

http://www.ebay.com/...McAAOSwIWVY-SGp

Newer ones don't use a relay but if it has 1 the PTO Relay is hidden somewhere near the starter solenoid.May be up behind the battery box zip tied to the main harness.That's where i found the 1 on an older L130 I had here to work on.My Cub Cadet 2186 relay was zip tied and tapped to the under side of the steering column support behind the battery.

Stator could be shorting out or the magnets up under the flywheel may have came loose.They do some off especially on the kohler twin engines. Does it keep the battery charged up or does it drain the battery stone dead if you let it sit for a couple days?

PTO You can pull the plug and test the clutch by running jumper wires to the battery.If it engages with a nice crisp metallic clank then it's probably good. I don't know what they test at on a ohms meter. Never had 1 here with a bad clutch but I did have a few that needed new switchs.

#6 64fleetside OFFLINE  

64fleetside
  • Member No: 77612
  • 189 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 06:38 PM

Try looking at the reverse switch. I had a buddys JD I had to "test" by a short wire between the terminals. I guess it thought it was always in reverse. Last I heard the test wire was still working....