5 replies to this topic

#1 pancho'spal OFFLINE  

pancho'spal
  • Member No: 86902
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 03:16 AM

Hi,

I am brand new to the forum and look forward to the experience.

First let me explain the name....My Golden Retriever, "Pancho" was the best dog in history, loyal beyond description. I was forced to have him put down at age 9yrs and struggle daily with the loss.

Anyway, here's my request.... I am starting to disassemble my model year 1970 Bolens 1476 in hopes of repairing a hydraulic fluid leak from the trans. Began degreasing today and wondering if there is fitting, hose, seal (whatever) that is commonly known to be a problem. Fluid is heavily accumulated on the front of the trans housing and of course on the bottom around the shifter rod connection.

Any suggestion of a culprit to look for?

Thanks!

#2 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 580 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 05:14 AM

Due to the age of the tractor the whole hydro should be removed and all the "O" rings in it replaced. I would suspect that the input shaft would be the main area where it is leaking. You will need to unhook the hydraulic lines going to it and the unbolt the rear-end and roll it to the rear. This will enable you to get the driveshaft off and remove the hydro from the rear-end. It may sound difficult but it is only just nuts and bolts. Take pic's of everything before you start then when it is time to put things together it might be easier. Sorry for your loss of your best friend. I went thru it many years ago with my Golden. To this day I still think of him.
  • Bolens 1000, Alc and pancho'spal have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,742 Thanks
  • 4,897 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 06:32 AM

It might be too late but look for the clean area before degreasing. Usually where the leak originates will be washed cleaner than the area around it. OH.....Welcome to the forum!!

• Deerlope said thank you

#4 pancho'spal OFFLINE  

pancho'spal
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 01:59 AM

Due to the age of the tractor the whole hydro should be removed and all the "O" rings in it replaced. I would suspect that the input shaft would be the main area where it is leaking. You will need to unhook the hydraulic lines going to it and the unbolt the rear-end and roll it to the rear. This will enable you to get the driveshaft off and remove the hydro from the rear-end. It may sound difficult but it is only just nuts and bolts. Take pic's of everything before you start then when it is time to put things together it might be easier. Sorry for your loss of your best friend. I went thru it many years ago with my Golden. To this day I still think of him.

I was afraid someone would say this, and, it does sound a bit daunting. The " nuts and bolts" part does not concern me but replacing "all the o-rings" sounds involved. Can you tell me how many and how difficult this gets? Likewise sorry for your loss... we sure can get attached to those guys. I've had many dogs over the years but Goldies are something special.

#5 pancho'spal OFFLINE  

pancho'spal
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 02:03 AM

It might be too late but look for the clean area before degreasing. Usually where the leak originates will be washed cleaner than the area around it. OH.....Welcome to the forum!!

This sounds like it would have been a good way to begin but unfortunately it is too late. However, I do appreciate the reply. Thanks!

#6 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 580 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 06:32 AM

OK there is one on that finned cover and another on the hydro where it slips into the rear end. one on the parking pawl ,one the  cam ring shaft or you might call it the shift shaft one on the hydraulic connecting tube, and a seal on the input shaft. I might have missed some but I don't think I did. I found that the most difficult one was the cam ring shaft Because you have to be careful not to break cast iron. The most important thing is once you get it out of the rear end is clean it up good the take it to a clean place to open it up.  The difficult part is getting the hydro out of the rear end the "0" ring and seal is easy.

Edited by Deerlope, May 17, 2017 - 06:34 AM.