Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

PTO Clutch pictures - What do I look for to determine wear?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Clutch3.jpg

Hi Folks
I have been ignoring the PTO clutch but decided to have a look at it. It came apart without much fuss. The coil looks like it's been recently replaced and reads a low resistance. Something like 3 ohms if I recall correctly. The bearing is toasted and I have a new one. I got the bearing out of the pulley but I'll need to press the bushing out of it. In the first picture of the back side of the pulley - Is this the wear area of the clutch? The rivets are still below the shiny surface but not by a lot. I've never had one of these apart before. I don't even have a use for it now but want to know it's condition and repair if required before I put the engine back together. At least the coil is in good shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clutch4.jpg
  • Clutch2.jpg
  • Clutch1.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:08 PM

That coil is definitely new, and the rest looks fine. I'd just install the new bearing & call that job done.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:23 PM

The coil is definitely new. I think it is an expensive part and was surprised to see it had been replaced. The clutch had not been adjusted properly and had no hope of working. The gap was way too wide and the springs were not adjusted evenly. The rotating part was rubbing lightly against one side of the coil. I need a press to get the bushing out of the bearing and press it into the new one. I have one in my shop at work that will do the job.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 03:20 PM

I need to get a press also. It is on my short list of needed tools along with about 10 pages of other stuff in fine print LOL.

Clutch looks good. Like Dan said I would just put the new bearing in and call it a job well done. The clutch material will more then likely last longer then the tractor as long as you have the gap set right so it doesn't slip when engaged. My pto clutch ended up having the fingers break, I think it was two of them that broke and Dan hooked me up with a new finger and a couple of rivets and I got it back together. I actually still have it since I stripped it off the Snapper before I sold it.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 03:31 PM

I got the bearing changed out and it is ready to reinstall on the motor. The press makes it easy to press out the bushing and reinstall the bearing but you need to use something to rest on the rivets to protect the fingers from taking the strain when you press it in. This is the first new part I have found when taking apart pieces of the tractor that weren't working. The clutch would not engage but was not adjusted at all. It must have had a gap of 1/8 inch! It could also be the switch. I am just getting to the electrical and it has been butchered. I have yet to find the reason. I suspect the PTO switch may be bad and to compensate they rewired it to use the second set of safety contacts of the switch. Then they bypassed the seat switch and PTO safety switch wiring. I will sort that out before putting the tractor back in service.

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 03:59 PM

3 ohms is the right resistance

#7 robertbennet OFFLINE  

robertbennet

• Member No: 4235
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 06:00 PM

3 ohms is right

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I figured it was good. There is a fuse wired in series with the coil so there must have been problems at some point. The coil assembly was scraping on the rotating plate of the clutch. Just enough to wear the paint off the side in one spot. I'll clean up the inside of the plate before I install it and make sure the coil assy. is centred and that should take care of that problem. Tonight I'll check the switch out and start rewiring the safety interlock.

#9 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thankful that was a simple fix.

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 12:46 PM

If all else fails you can rewire the pto,use a heavy 4 wire relay and a cheap toggle switch.Those toggle switch covers are pretty cool looking and they come in all different colors they will also help to keep the switch dry.
Safety Cover for Toggle Switch - Assorted Colors

If you need help wiring a relay up I can make up a diagram for ya.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 09:04 AM

If all else fails you can rewire the pto,use a heavy 4 wire relay and a cheap toggle switch.Those toggle switch covers are pretty cool looking and they come in all different colors they will also help to keep the switch dry.
Safety Cover for Toggle Switch - Assorted Colors

If you need help wiring a relay up I can make up a diagram for ya.

Thanks Eric. I got it all sorted out now. Rewired it as per the factory diagram. The switch now measures very low resistance in all settings and is in good shape internally. Thanks for the link.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I just finished installing the clutch on the engine and adjusting it. With the switch repaired and the clutch with a new bearing and properly adjusted I should be good to go. I'm close to putting the engine back in the tractor!!