11 replies to this topic

#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 03:09 PM

Well, Landlord needs rebuilt, shes getting long in the tooth for sure. Had a talk with my mom, and shes not wrong. And i quote " All your tractors are junk" Well, not completely true, most of them work, but they have issues. They are all from the 60's and 70's, so i would expect them to have issues. My question to you guys, what should i do? should i look for a newer model, that is still built well like the old ones? Should i look for a old one, like mine, that works well, and has little ware? Or should i put a couple 100, to 1000 into rebuilding the motor, tranny, and Bgb in my landlord.

Ive tried selling things, to fund the work needed on my landlord, but they dont sell. I dont think im out of line on the price, guessing that there isnt a market for those tractors as of late. Thanks for your input, Luke

#2 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 221 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 04:43 PM

To me it's a matter of perceived value, someone who doesn't like wrenching might think $4k+ on a new machine is money well spent (and to them it is). To me that's too much as it's more than my zero turn, 2 bolens, and skid steer cost combined. Peace of mind has a different value for different folks.

All of my stuff runs, except whatever the current repair project is, though sometimes you have to fiddle with it. I sometimes tire of cleaning carbs, replacing bearings, etc, but I would fiddle with a new machine that ran perfectly.

What's your motivation and economic situation, those will dictate a lot of choices and eliminate some options outright.

Me, I have 3 mowers because there's two people mowing and always one machine being worked on...whether it was broken or not to start.

Edit:

Were it mine, I'd see if I could fix it for less than I could replace it. I'm not attached to any of my machines beyond utility, so if I found something as good for less than repairs would cost that's what *I* would do.

Edited by dtsh, May 15, 2017 - 04:49 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, old coot and 2 others have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,233 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 05:39 PM

Well, Landlord needs rebuilt . . .      should i put a couple 100, to 1000 into rebuilding the motor, tranny, and Bgb in my landlord.

​There is a big difference between a couple hundred and a thousand. What does it actually need?

should i look for a newer model, that is still built well like the old ones?

​What newer models are as good as the older ones and how much will it cost?

Ive tried selling things, to fund the work needed on my landlord, but they dont sell. I dont think im out of line on the price, guessing that there isnt a market for those tractors as of late.

​What kind of stuff are you trying to sell? I used to part WH stuff out on eBay. Folks don't much want Murray or Ranch King.

• holdenboy1960 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 06:35 PM

Well, Landlord needs rebuilt . . .      should i put a couple 100, to 1000 into rebuilding the motor, tranny, and Bgb in my landlord.

​There is a big difference between a couple hundred and a thousand. What does it actually need?

should i look for a newer model, that is still built well like the old ones?

​What newer models are as good as the older ones and how much will it cost?

Ive tried selling things, to fund the work needed on my landlord, but they dont sell. I dont think im out of line on the price, guessing that there isnt a market for those tractors as of late.

​What kind of stuff are you trying to sell? I used to part WH stuff out on eBay. Folks don't much want Murray or Ranch King.

Well, if i rebuild the motor, that would just be a couple hundred. If i wanted to go farther, like doing the tranny and bgb, it would cost up to a 1000. Im not a fan of parting out things, so i will stay away from that. Thanks Lilysdad, Luke

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 06:50 PM

One step at a time.  What does it need the most?  Engine overhaul, tranny rebuild?  Do what it needs the most,  later do what it needs most at that time.  Don't try and build the whole unit a one time.   Sounds like you have several projects going at once and none of them are getting done.

• holdenboy1960 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,080 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 07:02 PM

Not much on that landlord should run you over $100 other than the motor, most of the bgb and rear end is just bushings and of the shelf bearings.  I got most of my stuff from msc and napa to rebuild mine.  as for the motor you may find it hard just to find parts, whats the engine?  briggs stuff can get expensive but is still out there.  if your lucky you will need a piston and rings $100 if not you will need to replace the connecting rod $100 minimum, machining will run you $100 valves and guides $50 or better, gaskets probably another $50.  Just a guestimate on most of this, I would check with a few of the site sponsors for parts.

in my opinion you will be much better to pick one of your machines to fix, then you will know you machine and exactly whats in there. auction scrap or otherwise sell the rest to generate $$.  I understand your meaning about selling the tractors, sometimes they just don't sell!!!!!  even for cheap, I did see your postings and the prices seemed ok. 

#7 JohnDeere110 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere110
  • Member No: 69034
  • 215 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 08:08 PM

One step at a time.  What does it need the most?  Engine overhaul, tranny rebuild?  Do what it needs the most,  later do what it needs most at that time.  Don't try and build the whole unit a one time.   Sounds like you have several projects going at once and none of them are getting done.

:iagree: 

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,421 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 08:14 PM

17861758_1955406198027366_1133879316354844464_n.jpg

#9 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 08:19 PM

LoL,,, sounds similar to me 7yrs ago.  I had 9, yes 9 tractors just for grass cutting duties, more machines for winter work.  Think I had 100 bux total in all of them, mostly free stuff everyone gave me, all ran, all "worked" to some extent, but all had issues.  One week I couldn't cut the grass because all of them were broke down in some form of fashion.  Being the frugal individual that I am I started into the herd set out to fix one or two and call it good,, lasted about 15 minutes,, till the wife figured out my scheme and appeared in the shop, and the wife who is usually silent about such matters issued a decree,,,,,,,  I was to march my behind down to the JD dealer come back with a new one or she would,, And then I was to get rid of the  junkers and quit screwing around and being cheap,,,,,,, hmmm highly unusual behavior for the wife, it kinda set me back a bit to be honest as she has never gotten involved in such things,,, yea she won that one as she was talking TLB at the time Series 2 I believe,,, sounded super spendy so I figured I better take action before I was 30K poorer LoL.  Anyways,,, other than the maintenance work I haven't had to wrench on that machine for 7 yrs now,,,, money well spent, and honestly when this one starts getting long in the tooth I will gladly replace it I'm done trying to get things done with equipment that constantly requires a wrench.

• holdenboy1960, 637Yeoman and RustyB have said thanks

#10 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 09:26 PM

On the flip side of my pervious post in the thread I did get my hands on a free Wheel Horse 16 hp hydro with a blown engine and other issues a few years back and did a total refirb on the machine, which has worked out rather well.  I think it took me a few months to totally go through the entire machine and several hundred dollars to bring it back into a state that I felt was comparable to a new one.  That's a few months it was totally inoperable, it was time and money well spent though as a new JD X500 series similar with hydraulics starts at about 7K+, blade and blower add another 2K+ or so we were looking at a 9K+ expenditure for the "package".  I still have almost all of that 9K and the 1973 WH, its my deep snow machine and the blower is usually left on year round, this year it took care of the 22"+ snow storm with ease, other than dated ergonomics it gets er done just as well as a new one for a lot less coin.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, holdenboy1960 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#11 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,682 Thanks
  • 904 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 07:11 AM

Well, if i rebuild the motor, that would just be a couple hundred. If i wanted to go farther, like doing the tranny and bgb, it would cost up to a 1000. Im not a fan of parting out things, so i will stay away from that. Thanks Lilysdad, Luke

I don't know how a BGB and tranny is going to cost you a grand I did the BGB on this one an it cost me 175.00. 

20151015_175409.jpg

This was a shame ...I spent a bit of time an money on it but I could not tolerate driving it because it had a right side clutch/brake and it would bother my old knee injury. Ended up selling it for 350.00 with a mower deck. 

20150908_095212.jpg

I have no more simplicitys now , I am all sears and one lonely horse. 

I am bass ackwards on my horse though as far as funds go, I got about 1500.00 into it and never will I get that back out. 

20160115_124318.jpg

I almost traded it for another sears and I may still do that if I can find a fair trade. Thats how much I like the sears.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,421 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 09:43 AM

I was the same way for a few decades..  Buy up old junk and dilapidated machines and breathe new life into them..  

Guess what?  I still do!!

The 425 has been a dependable machine over the last 5 years but I've reached the point where it is costing me more $$ again..  

It's well worth the time and $$  A comparable tractor would be ~$9K..  

If it's down I can always borrow the neighbor's 455 to keep up as I mowed his property a few years while he was still working..  

It pays to have good relations with your neighbors...

• js5020, 637Yeoman and Doug E. have said thanks