• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:44 PM

so i heard this "chirping" noise that i thought was coming from my breaks. so i tore my brakes apart and drove it with no brakes. i still heard the noise, my diagnostic now is its coming from my engine, when i drive under load. its definately not my rear end. any ideas on what it could be? kohler k532.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:51 PM

Its hard to say,
Only thing I can think of at the moment is the rod possibly being scored/ wearing out.

Edited by Bolens 1000, June 15, 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:57 PM

when i rev the engine it makes the noise. so ir would be a crankshaft bearing? ill hear it better when i buy a muffler tomorrow.

#4 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:12 PM

*update *update* so ive read it MAY be a head gasket. now not the head gasket i replaced but the other on startup, a puff of blue smoke come from between the head and the block, think that could be it?

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:14 PM

but then again, i do have 120 psi on that side...

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Leaking head gaskets will "chirp" as you described. To chirp they are only leaking a tiny bit, so compression won't read much lower at all.

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:30 PM

so is this even something to worry about? i tightened the one head bolt by the intake manifold like 1/20th of a turn and the chirping quieted down some. the exhaust manifold bolts always seem to snap. i think if i deciede to tighten it, im buying kroil, since people say it is the best, and im going to lay it on thick. or if you have a better penetrating spray or oil plz plz plz let me know. but yep, its a head gasket.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:32 PM

so is this even something to worry about? i tightened the one head bolt by the intake manifold like 1/20th of a turn and the chirping quieted down some. the exhaust manifold bolts always seem to snap. i think if i deciede to tighten it, im buying kroil, since people say it is the best, and im going to lay it on thick. or if you have a better penetrating spray or oil plz plz plz let me know. but yep, its a head gasket.

I would retorque the head to proper spec while hot. Some chirping could be coming from metal rubbing also from the vibrations.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Kroil is about the best, but I would take the head completely off & check the head for flatness & correct if needed. If this has the metal outside gaskets, I re-use them all the time, but I seal them using a thick coating of silver or gold (any metallic) spray paint. Just put a good coat on both sides of the gaskets, let it tack up, then install. "Copper Coat" head gasket sealer is the best though. If you take the head off, run a tap in to chase all the threads clean....unless it has studs.

#10 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:48 PM

my pistons arent flat, the engine was seized at one point and it got unseized with a hammer and screwdriver. so there some marking on the pistons. o and i can get kroil at pepboys or autozone right? im NOT risking another broken head bolt because then you need to get the cobalt bits and start drilling, retap the hole, hope you dont break the tap. it goes on and on and on and on.

#11 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:49 PM

i forgot to mention where i see the smoke coming out is by the exhaust manifold, could it be the manifold? or would that be more of a tick like in a car?

#12 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:03 PM

i tightened some of the head bolts, now i couldnt really get the one by the exhaust manifold to move much, but i tightened the others, theres less smoke in the puff on startup, AND now it only chirps when i go full bore up the septic mound (you PAers know what im talking about.) so this weekend thats my project.