• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,957 Thanks
  • 2,591 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 07:33 PM

I know that I have seen posts on this subject before, can't seem to find any now.

I bought an Ariens YT13H with a blown engine just because I had a "similar" engine sitting here that I am tired of looking at; as it turns out what I am about to ask about, is one of the same 2 reasons I could not use this dust collector engine on the machine that I originally intended to.... it has no fuel pump.

the other reason that I could not use this engine on the machine that I bought it for was the bottom-exit exhaust interfered with the frame of the other machine. but it is an "almost" identical drop in for this Ariens. 

The engine happens to be a Tecumseh Enduro 13hp OHV vertical shaft.  but it could be any engine without a fuel pump installed in an application that needs one. 

The blown engine that I removed was a 13hp Tecumseh OHV Formula. With a vacuum pulse pump.

and a 90*, 1/8" pipe thread nipple screwed into the front face of the block, about an inch from the top.

I thought i'd seen them take their pulse from a  nipple elsewhere on other engines but I am having a brain fart since the last few fuel pumps I have dealt with have been mechanical ones on K series Kohlers.

Yeah, I could drill and tap a hole close to the same location like the old engine had, and call it "done". but to do it right I would feel compelled to pull the sump off and blow out the block with Brake clean to make sure there are no metal chips remaining within. but I really don't want to have to do that. 

I stuck a phillips screwdriver in the threaded hole for the nipple in the old engine, there does not appear to be any sort of a baffle nearby to deflect oil splash or anything....   so is that the answer? drill, tap, thread-in and done?  or is there another way?  At the moment I don't know that the fuel pump is any good, or if the diaphragm may be blown and diluted the oil to cause the old engine to blow in the 1st place? (Speculation there/ the oil that came out did not seem thinned out)

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,957 Thanks
  • 2,591 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 07:37 PM

this mower was bought as a flip, I drove too far (CL wild goose chase) and probably paid too much for it only because I have an engine here already "just like" (not quite, I see) the blown one... so I really don't want to buy an electric or anything like that.....

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 09:14 PM

Not sure of your motor but if your worried about chips and such. Pop your valve cover off put nipple in top of it. 

• boyscout862, dodge trucker and secondtry have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,957 Thanks
  • 2,591 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 09:33 PM

in addition to the hose that's there and goes to carb? so take that off and put my hole there instead? 

I was surprised to see the vacuum nipple located where it was, on the old blown engine... and no apparent baffle within the engine (thinking like a baffle in a car's valve cover to keep it from sucking oil thru the PCV system) 

I'm thinking that if I did drill and tap it in the "new" engine comparably to what the old one has, I figure to put grease on both the drill bit and tap, and maybe have someone hold the shop vac close by as I drill.... it has a full crankcase of oil (to the "full" mark anyway) I wonder if simply tipping the block on its side (so oil would be on the bottom, as flipped) drill and tap, and then drain the oil, would the oil hold the shavings in suspension long enough to drill, tap, and drain? I'm thinking so.... probably over thinking this.

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 08:22 AM

Put a hole in the dip stick tube that's how I do them
  • dodge trucker and secondtry have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,957 Thanks
  • 2,591 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 12:12 PM

Put a hole in the dip stick tube that's how I do them

This one is thin plastic, don't think so in this case but thanks.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,957 Thanks
  • 2,591 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:13 AM

Question. With this engine being OHV, could I get enough vacuum off of the OHV valve cover? I have"just about" resigned myself to drilling and tapping the hole in the block very near where I took the hose barb out of the original engine, but haven't done it yet so thought I'd ask. I saw something in another thread on here about that and thought I'd seen them mounted there before on others. Easier to take off so no chance of leaving shavings in the block....
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,097 Thanks
  • 44,116 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Question. With this engine being OHV, could I get enough vacuum off of the OHV valve cover? I have"just about" resigned myself to drilling and tapping the hole in the block very near where I took the hose barb out of the original engine, but haven't done it yet so thought I'd ask. I saw something in another thread on here about that and thought I'd seen them mounted there before on others. Easier to take off so no chance of leaving shavings in the block....

I think that is where the pump on my Sears DLT gets it's vacuum. I'd go look, but it's raining again!

Rain quit. It is off the valve cover! This is a 25HP B&S.

• dodge trucker said thank you