Nice score!

• classic said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Kenny, I knew that I had to drag this Page home. The engine was stuck, but it turned out to be the transmission input shaft. The transmission got water in it, but it didn't take much to free it up. I pulled the head and the bore looks pretty good. I may be able to get away with a .010 over bore on this one. The valve faces and seats don't even look bad. I picked up a parts T92 transmission after the auction, so I just have to order bearings. The differential looks good, and I took apart the gear reduction box and right side bull gear assembly. The gear reduction assembly looks good, but I'll have to replace the rear axle bushings. The clutch assembly looks fine, but I'll have to make a plate puller to remove the flywheel. There's old oil on the flywheel and engine output shaft and the set screws came out without a fight. There's no rust on the engine output shaft, so it shouldn't take much to get the flywheel off once I make the puller.
  • Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:00 PM

I KNEW I SHOULDA OUT BID YOU ON THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  stood rite there and watched classic get that score, old guy rite there said it wasn't worth $40.  glad to hear it isn't to much trouble to get going, you decide to sell you just call

Pete

• classic said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:04 PM

It rained at the auction all day yesterday and the grounds turned into a mud hole. Lot's of good items were for sale and the was a pretty good crowd even in the rain. I bumped into member peterj6 there and we talked for a bit. It's always good to see him and his Dad. Here are a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170513_093258.jpg
  • 20170513_092056.jpg
  • IMG_0557.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:09 PM

I wouldn't have been mad if you out bid me, Pete. I knew what I would have bid up to and that would have been it for me. It's how I look at it when it comes to auctions. I don't get caught up in the auction hoopla, lol! There was a lot of good stuff to bid on there. Did you pick up anything?

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:17 PM

The Page guts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170514_185949.jpg
  • 20170514_141042.jpg
  • 20170514_110820.jpg
  • 20170514_101518.jpg
  • 20170514_101530.jpg

#8 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:24 PM

No I couldn't take the terrible auctioneers any more, we bailed at noon without spending any money.  really like that big closed side Jacobsen and there was a decent looking mf12.  Just couldn't stand to wait in the rain any more, I am glad you got that page. way better in your hands than mine, at least you have parts on hand.

Pete

• KennyP and classic have said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:32 PM

It was borderline torture being at that auction. The rain had most people under the weather, heh! You should have bought that rusty one with the red hood in one of the above pics. That was a rare bird! I would have bit on it, but I had to go pick up some parts an hour away.

#10 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 358 Thanks
  • 233 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 08:57 PM

I'm really glad you saved this Page Classic! There are so few out there and stories like this always make you wonder how many more there are hiding, waiting to come out of the woodwork yet. :)

Rob

• classic said thank you

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Rob. You surely do your part in saving these old tractors, too. Thanks for all of the help with the history and info on these tractors. This is the second one that I've found within an hours drive. I wonder what is still out there myself. There were at least five Panzer tractors at this auction and a variety of others, some newer and some vintage.
  • oldiron1 said thank you

#12 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 358 Thanks
  • 233 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Rob. You surely do your part in saving these old tractors, too. Thanks for all of the help with the history and info on these tractors. This is the second one that I've found within an hours drive. I wonder what is still out there myself. There were at least five Panzer tractors at this auction and a variety of others, some newer and some vintage.

I love the research and amateur historian work. I've become really partial to Page/Red E being so local to me I meet folks that worked for the company and/or family and since there is so little currently documented, each tractor to me is like a new "CSI Murder Mystery" to try to solve. 

Our girls as little as they are keep me plenty busy outside of work, so I don't get many projects done these days; more reading and such than anything, but I wouldn't trade it for the world as the tractor projects will always be there.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Nice scrap.
Auctioneer should get his damn head smacked
  • classic said thank you

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 10:02 PM

Good on ya, Rob! The amateur research is a blast for me too. The researching and restorations are very time consuming, but at least there is plenty of material out there to work with. It really keeps the hobby from becoming boring. I've always liked the Page tractors and the Red E branded machines. The page tractors with the steering column and steering wheel like this one have an interesting look to them. There was a lot of interest in this odd looking Page at the auction, but most people never heard of one and it was probably in too rough looking condition for them to want to mess with. Sometimes these rusty tractors can be in pretty decent shape internally. Other times they can be very worn out or badly water damaged. I was really expecting to see more water damage with this Page, but it's looking pretty good. I'm really glad that the engine is rebuildable and that there are no major problems with the bull gears and opinion gears. I wouldn't even know where to look for those parts.
  • oldiron1 said thank you

#15 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,767 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 10:16 PM

There were actually three auctioneers MH81. This auction was about three time the size of what you can see in my above pic. It's a small town auction with a bunch of good folks that belong to the club. I don't think that they did too bad, especially with the chilly rainy weather. After the auction, members ran around with forklifts and loaders helping everyone load their trailers. I waited an hour and a half in the pouring rain to get loaded up, and I could see how busy these guys were. One person in an Avelanche and loaded trailer slid backwards down a steep muddy hill and jackknifed badly. The trailer was about up againsed his truck. A member pulled him up the hill with a big 4wd Kubota with a ton of suitcase weights hanging off the back. It was a mess and a fiasco that I won't soon forget. It was a relief to finally get home, believe me!
  • MH81, KennyP, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks