#1 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,526 Thanks
  • 1,824 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 12:21 PM

I made a deal on what appears to be an early model A this morning.

It has had some hydraulic parts added to lift the front plow. It looks like a GM p/s pump. Fortunately it was all bolted on, so removal would be easy. The rear plow mount looks home a cobble fabbed too.

The Briggs on it runs, and also comes with the original Wisconsin which runs, but was switched out because of hard starting issues.

The guy that I made the deal with, dad purchased it in Washington state, and brought it back to Wisconsin years ago when he moved here. Turns out now this guy is moving out of the country, and selling off. He had it listed for quite a while, and I decided to pull the trigger.
Some pics....

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170514_084141.jpg
  • 00M0M_5ZZOfhPzzRI_600x450.jpg
  • 00b0b_8DRd76NJ6aI_600x450.jpg
  • 00b0b_aCeZb0XHutr_600x450.jpg
  • 00n0n_8E8jcwxJSej_600x450.jpg
  • 00K0K_8y0v63KViIW_600x450.jpg
  • 00m0m_fX9A7Qwhynm_600x450.jpg

• EricFromPa, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 358 Thanks
  • 233 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 09:50 AM

I saw the ad too and glad you got it; congrats!

Most Gibson's seem to be in the NW and find very few around here; especially early A's with the cast front wheels. Nice find!

• stiemmy said thank you

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,526 Thanks
  • 1,824 posts

Posted May 15, 2017 - 03:52 PM

I saw the ad too and glad you got it; congrats!
Most Gibson's seem to be in the NW and find very few around here; especially early A's with the cast front wheels. Nice find!

Thank you.

To be honest, I wasn't going to buy it at his asking price because it's not all original, and so I made him an offer that seemed realistic to me that he accepted.

Now I got to find room for it lolol

Sure is a heavy looking little rascal!

Edited by stiemmy, May 15, 2017 - 03:53 PM.

• KennyP and oldiron1 have said thanks

#4 Tractors man OFFLINE  

Tractors man
  • Member No: 66955
  • 44 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 07:14 PM

That is what is affectionately called "the little one". Lots of similarities btw the A and the D but they're definitely different. Differential is of Chrysler origin. Front and rear wheels are cast. Belt guard is made of welded metal versus Ds had castings. Frame is shorter. Control handles are different and there a few other things not coming to mind right now.
I have an A and a couple of Ds and I love my A. Your tractor looks very complete and putting in a Wisconsin AEH will complete the picture
Happy motoring
  • stiemmy said thank you

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,526 Thanks
  • 1,824 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 06:39 PM

Had a little seat time today, and our Friends @ Google made a short little video of it!

I did mess with the Wisconsin engine some, and found it has good compression, but the mag needs work. I did clean the points, but I do believe the condenser to be the culprit. I have not tested the coil, and it has a great snap. Guess we'll see down the road with that?

Enjoy the vid:)

Edited by stiemmy, June 10, 2017 - 07:34 PM.

• classic said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,750 Thanks
  • 2,088 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 10:26 PM

It's good to see the old Gibson at work and it looks great! The magnetos are pretty much trouble free once you go over them and get them in shape. They really benefit from a good cleaning and a rebuild kit. A new bearing and seal for the rotor is something worth doing. It insures that the rotor spins as it should and keeps engine oil away from the points and condenser.
  • stiemmy said thank you