2 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,103 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 11:45 AM

Have the granddaughter this weekend so yesterday morning we headed for the garden with a box of plants.  Her first time planting garden plants and did real well for a 6 yo.  I dug the holes with a spade, then we planted.  Main problem she had was when she leaned back to get more dirt she would lift the plant up out of the hole.  After a few corrections she got the hang of it.  Didn't get a pic of her as I forgot the camera and didn't want to walk up the hill to the house to get it.  So far we have 13 tomatoes plants of 5 varieties, 16 cabbage plants 4 early variety, 8 broccoli and 8 cauliflower, and 2 bell pepper plants.  1 hill each of burpless cucs, muskmelon and giant pumpkin.  The radish, lettuce, onions, green beans and beets are all up and doing good.  Have room for more just not sure what we want to put in yet.

SAM_0259.JPG   SAM_0260.JPG   SAM_0261.JPG

Was cloudy so things didn't show up the best.  We put some mulch around the tomato plants and will add more later.  Light brown in the second pic.   It is claimed that keeping tomato plants mulched keeps the dirt from splattering up on the leaves, which may contain a blight you don't want on the tomatoes.  Worth a try, will know more in a few months. 

Edited by chieffan, May 14, 2017 - 11:50 AM.

• grnspot110, Alc, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,862 Thanks
  • 3,399 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 02:59 AM

Plastic mulch for me ! With drip irrigation under! It keeps the plants happy and its very easy to find them pesky horned tomato worms if you get any.
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,103 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 07:15 AM

Plastic mulch for me ! With drip irrigation under! It keeps the plants happy and its very easy to find them pesky horned tomato worms if you get any.

To much work and cost to put it all out and then take it up in the fall.  Half the fun of having a garden the the enjoyment of working in it - some.