The one in the back is for a standard 14" vent but someone cut a huge vent hole in the front.
There was a home made wood cover over this hole when I picked the camper up ( the cover blew off sometime during the trip home ).
I have two new 14" vents to mount on the roof.
The roof was sagging where the big hole is so I put in two 2x4's ( one in front and one behind the hole ) to brace it up and add strength.
Then I framed it in so there is a hole for the 14" vent.
The big hole was about 2" off center so when I framed in the new vent hole, I lined it up with the other vent hole.
I'm re-using some of the metal off the side to fill in around the hole.
About an inch around the edge of the roof patch is going to be bent over for added strength.
Here I'm bending up the first edge.
Three edges are finished and the last edge is bent up.
Mounting holes are punched into the edge of the roof patch using a hand held punch.
A bead of marine chalking is put around the hole and the roof patch is fastened down with pole barn screws.
The original front marker lights had been removed and three small rectangular lights had been mounted in front of where the old lights were.
The holes for the old lights were sealed with putty but most of it was missing and the holes were exposed.
There is a 2x2 running across the front of the camper underneath the marker lights.
There are holes in front and behind this 2x2.
I filled in between the 2x2 and the 2x4 so there was something solid to fasten a roof patch too.
This also strengthens up the 2x2.
You can still see holes in front of the 2x2 in the part of the roof that starts to curve downward.
I'm going to cover this whole area with a roof patch.
Part of the patch will be fastened to the supporting wood underneath and part of it will only be fastened to the metal of the roof itself.
The patch is made out of galvanized steel for strength.
The front of the patch is bent a little to form to the curve of the camper roof.
Here is the finished patch.
The back part of the patch is fastened with pole barn screws.
The front is fastened with closed end marine pop rivets so water can't leak down thru the center of the rivets.
The sealer is compressed between the patch and the roof metal and all around the rivets as they are installed.
The rivets them selves are pulled down tight to the metal on both sides.
So I know that this isn't necessary, but I went ahead and sealed around the rivets on the inside of the roof anyway.
... I figure it sure can't hurt. ...
Edited by jdcrawler, June 15, 2011 - 05:41 PM.