• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi, last fall I picked up a very nice 1973 PK with a 48" deck this is the older style deck with manual engage flat top with no air dams around the blades, I had no experience with this type of deck but wanted to give it a try and see how they preform, also wanted to convert the tractor to electric PTO so I could install either of the 2 other decks I have.

So converting the engine to electric PTO requires removing the front pulley assy and installing a electric clutch adapter shaft, BUT the pulley has 4 5/16" mount bolts on 2 7/8" centers the PTO stub shaft has 4 3/8" mount bolts on 3" centers, (I'm not sure if the small bolt pattern shaft was ever available or not) all I could find was the 3" size so I had my friend machine/elongate the holes to match the 2 7/8" pattern, installed the PTO clutch, switch wiring and a 15 amp fuse tested it and the clutch clicked so far so good.

Now to install the hitch and deck, this went ok but I found this type of deck is harder to install then the newer types in order to used the electric PTO I secured the manual engagement in place with so wire, started the engine and pulled the PTO switch on and all worked as it should so far so good.

Next was to do some mowing with it and that went pretty good this style deck mows ok but with out the air dams does not throw the grass out very far about 12" and when I got in tall grass on the first past this lead to the deck plugging up the next passes went good, all in all its a good deck but I will remove it and keep it as a backup deck and use the newer types as the primary use decks.

Also learned and interesting thing these older decks have a flat removable plate on the deck ends I had the RH side one installed and the LH open as this a LH discharge deck just to see what happened with the RH plate removed I removed it and went and mowed to my surprise it mowed the same NO grass came out the right open side. 

HPIM1218.JPG HPIM1217.JPG HPIM1551.JPG HPIM1552.JPG HPIM1553.JPG

• Bud, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#2 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 863 Thanks
  • 688 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 10:07 AM

Looks like you could modify the mount on an AC/Simplicity deck and make it work.

• MNGB said thank you

#3 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 10:55 AM

Hi Rad, that maybe possible, the post 1985 decks were built by Simplicity for the PK's although they were modified some.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,362 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 11:21 AM

Have seen those early PK decks with NO sides on them. Only the back on them for rollers to be affixed at. No front or sides, BUT have those big Rod like loops still on them and they are the gliding part, no deck wheels. Surely don't look safe and wouldn't pass modern specs for safety, ha!

• MNGB said thank you

#5 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 11:33 AM

You are right on GL, and the blade are very close to the outer part of the deck discharge area.