• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,840 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 11:15 AM

I bought this one because I had an engine sitting here that I knew would go right on it, thought it might be an easy flip to make a few bucks to put into the older ones, but it is proving otherwise. Seems like I will be lucky to break even, older machines are built better and don't have all of that Ralph Nader crap on them, if everything isn't just right they won't even crank. More crap to break that isn't even necessary for the machine to run.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#17 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,840 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 05:41 PM

Ok an update... Still no idea where the mystery ground wire went, I snipped it short enough not to stick out from underneath... Everything electrical works as it should...
On the die out issue I THINK I finally got it solved. I was able to mow my entire yard including ditches even and it didn't miss a beat until I shut it off. It had been dying out probably 10 times at least to get me thru my yard once.
To figure out what was going on there,I..

Replaced the fuel line all the way back to the tank, where I discovered that the grommet that holds the fuel line fitting in place was rotted off and the fitting was just dangling in the tank
Replaced the coil with a known good used one that I had laying around. (Note the could on a 13hp ohv Formula engine is different from the coil on a 13hp ohv Enduro engine even though they are both Tecumseh and both close to the same age as each other... )
I ordered a rebuild kit for the original walbro fuel pump (original to the tractor, as the replacement engine didn't come with one) and rebuilt that pump.
Drilled and tapped a hole in the block for the vacuum fitting for the pump like the original engine had and thought for a while that maybe I screwed up there...
I ran the engine with the kill switch wire disconnected to eliminate the idiot switches as a possible cause of the dying out
And finally I broke down and bought a brand new fuel pump and installed that... And finally no more die out... I don't get why the rebuild kit didn't give me the same result as replacing the whole fuel pump did...

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,840 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 05:44 PM

And now maybe I can finally advertise this machine for sale... As for making anything of of it I seriously doubt it, I will be lucky to break even on parts and materials.... Why does it seem like I went through all of that for nothing?
I want this toy outta here so I can get back to working on my heavier duty machines..

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 06:34 AM

Sorry it turned into an adventure.
Around here, there are lots of machines on CL right now advertised with some derivation of " go buy something at a box store half this well built for anything close to this price." As a way to justify the price they're asking. Must work occasionally?
Go ahead and advertise for profit. You can always come down, harder to go up.

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,840 posts

Posted June 30, 2017 - 08:14 PM

it is on CL in 2 listing areas as we speak, I live between them and suffer, not able to get what those live closer to the center of these areas do because "youre too far".... I had 1 hot sounding lead and in the end he wanted to send me a cashiers check and have his "movers" come for it.... no thanks. He asked me what my "best price" is in an early Email and i told him that I do not negotiate until you are here in person.  but for now until you show up my best priuce is what is advertised.

I had another guy try to bust my nuts because I said it has a newER engine (not brand new) and he wanted me to Email him the EXACT model and serial of engine and mower so he could verify year built because "he has not seen an engine with a metal shroud in years"..... and he did specify in all caps....... I replied to the idiot that he must only play with newer Breaks&Scatters engines as yes they do use alot of plastic in their newest engines.... Tired of CL idiots......

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,840 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:24 PM

and gone..... finally got out of it what I spent but if I count my time, I lost..... about typical

• Sawdust said thank you

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,979 Thanks
  • 5,035 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:43 PM

That's about how well I fare on flips. I gotta remember that it is just to cheapen my hobby.

#23 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 3,295 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 08:52 AM

Glad you broke even on it. I agree if someone wants to haggle with me they need to be here. Just chalk it down as experience.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 2,840 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 07:14 PM

got that headache outta here, now a break from small engine stuff for a few days to tend to car and truck side jobs that seem to be piling up recently (that cash source is like "feast or famine" and has been dry for too long now and once the 1st guy called I got like 5 of them all at once... all ball joints/tie rod ends/sway bar link kinds of things) and a little bit of "catch up maintenance"
on my own "fleet" including getting my 78 Sport Fury out of a 2 year hibernation,

and then finally get to go back to my other Ariens..... my S16H that needs its electrical system "cleaned up" and my GT19 that I need to play "musical starter" on once again.

• KennyP said thank you