• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 05:32 PM

though this one is vertical shaft, back when I was younger, that was all I could seem to get my hands on, and anyone that I knew that knew tractors, said that "if it has a vertical shaft, it's junk"....

This is a YT13H, found on CL while looking for something else, has a 13hp OHV Techy on it, basically bought it because  1. It's in real good shape other than the engine/  and 2. I happen to have a good running very low-hour, 13hp Techy OHV sitting here as a trip hazard at the moment...

the head is off of it and the pushrods etc... they spray-greased the snot out of the cylinder, piston is all the way down in the hole. I tried to grab the flywheel and turn it over by hand, it tries but won't turn, and the piston seems to "rock"--rotate.... he had a friend look at it and was told it had a bent rod... weird. I usually see a small engine blow before it will bend a rod. 

I probably paid too much, went too far to get it/ but Ariens is generally thought of as "better than" MTD, Murray etc.... so hopefully I can swap my trip hazard low hour Techy "Formula 13" onto it and see it down the road. Deck and frame seem really clean.  they were using it when it "just quit"... they have had it a couple years, and put a new (aftermarket) starter on it hoping that would solve the "it won't run" issue....

I was actually looking to see what might be out there fairly local for attachments for my S16h, or my GT19 or my NH and this popped up.

hopefully I drop the engine in and "not" find other issues with the machine itself.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 13, 2017 - 05:33 PM.

• MH81, shorty, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 07:01 PM

Pictures, ??

Noel
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 08:30 PM

:ditto:

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 09:38 PM

I ain't your techno computer guy..... but the model number is 936010   model name is YT13H   serial 002059

I got the old motor off,  I gotta remember one of these times that one 13hp Tecumseh isn't "just like" every other....
or what ever brand/HP engine I am working with at the moment.... like I almost got bit the last2 times that I bought a piece of dead equipment because I had a motor laying around that I was "sure" would fit... the 1st one worked out but pretty much "by accident"... the 2nd one worked out but took me a little more work and swapping of parts between original and replacement engines than I thought there would be.... and this one is going the same way.

and my (soon to be former) door stop that I thought was "the same thing as" what I took off is an Enduro 13HP NOT a Formula...

it had been a while since I looked at it. I think the dead one I removed is a Formula, all it says on it is "built especially for Ariens"...

the old engine had a typical-looking Tecumseh carb with mixture screw adjustments, the one I am replacing it with has the plastic carb on which you "rebuild" the carb by replacing the bowl, float, needle and seat in one assembly.

The old engine was drilled and tapped for a 90* hose barb to power a vacuum powered fuel pump, the replacement one isn't.  so I guess I pull the sump so that I can drill the replacement engine block and tap it, so that I can screw that hose barb into it, and be sure that I get all of the shavings out of it....

I also gotta fix the wiring at the blade clutch as someone tried to solder them right at the connector, bare far enough back from the plug that they could easily short out.... and an "extra" loose, dangling white wire coming out of the same wiring harness leg with no place apparent for it to connect to. the plug going to the clutch is a 2 wire type.

Engine is off, old gas is drained, had to tighten the nuts on the tie rods as they were all loose/ wow what a difference in how it steers.... 

for a "cheap" LT, I cannot get over how many grease zerks this thing has on it, certainly more than my S series or GT19 does....

next step is to go under the house so I can turn on the water to my outside faucets (again, had to turn them off a few weeks ago because the weather turned to crap for a while) so that I can fire up the power washer.... Oh yeah.. and get my son to get his "behind" home, so that he can help me stand it up on the back wheels so that I can power wash all of it.

there has gotta be a missing spring on the pawl that holds the deck at what ever height you want to keep it at, other than "scalp".

the release button is basically like a choke cable that  was also unhooked at the pawl end. It doesn't spring back, when you release your thumb from the release.

then to pull the pulley stack off of the "replacement" engine and verify the crank PTO end matches up...

The original engine didn't quite "blow", the piston does move when the crank is rotated but there is probably 30* of slop rotating the crank before the piston will "follow"/ so it ain't quite "blown" but I'm sure a couple minutes (if that) would finish it off haha...

• shorty, Sawdust and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,780 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 10:01 PM

The YT series is one overbuilt lawn tractor. If that frame ever breaks I want to know how it was done. I am kicking around the idea of getting one for junior. Maybe then I could get my Gravely back.
  • MH81, dodge trucker and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 09:53 PM

ok question time.... 

I have a manual here on the 935.... series, this is a 936.... are they the same?   What are the differences?

where does the ground wire go down by the clutch? there is a white wire dangling , but the plug in connector has no place for this 3rd wire....

and, the release for the deck lift was disconnected at the lock pawl end; I reconnected it, seems there should be a light spring to return the pawl to the "lock" position but don't see a place for one anywhere down by the pawl... releasing and setting the deck height is thus a pain....

• KennyP said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 09:45 PM

any answers to questions in last post???

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,146 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 05:50 AM

I don't even know where to look for those answers.

Okay. I googled Ariens YT13H and found a wiring diagram.

Attached File  Ariens 936010 (001400 - ) YT13H, 13hp Tec.pdf   179.52KB   27 downloads

Parts diagrams can be found here.

Edited by KennyP, May 17, 2017 - 05:57 AM.

• dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,780 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 12:20 PM

I haven't tinkered too much with that series yet. Clueless on them.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:17 AM

Ok I got the other issues figured out but still nothing on the deck height pawl, I guess I will go to the hardware store and look thru their spring assortment and see if I can retrofit something on there.
  • shorty and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 21, 2017 - 09:17 AM

let's see if I can get ONE post in before this damn computer blacks out again....

spent alot of yesterday putting this thing together... fixed some bad wiring, got the vacuum fitting issue figured out, all wired up and ready to go except for that mystery ground... still have to put the clutch onto the bottom of the engine, figure out where I wind up missing a ground, put the deck back on, and find a different solution to the deck height lock pawl issue, I bought 3 different springs at Menards and struck out... I do not see where there ever was any sort of spring on the lock pawl before though.... push the release and it don't spring back.... seems like I have more time in this one than I should.... I want to get back to finishing reassembly on my S-16H from tearing that down to fix the PTO shaft bearings/axle tube and the seized steering.... so I can go on to the electrical headache that awaits me on that machine... as a result of sitting dormant outside for too many years.... always something.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 22, 2017 - 03:57 PM

Besides my computer trying so hard to die,,, yesterday must have been brain fart day....

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted May 29, 2017 - 08:40 PM

ok, the spring for the pawl is built into the lift handle, a few extra flat washers and it has plenty of "spring" to it now...

tubed one rear tire, waiting for my tire guy from work to bring me another,  looks like I must have pinched the 1st tube that I installed, it stayed up a few days and now won't stay up long enough for me to pull the air chuck... the other one is good for ~6 hours. Put 1 brand new front on since I had it laying around and had one on the machine with terrible dry rot issues....

still trying to figure out a dieout issue.... acts almost like vapor lock....

• MH81 said thank you

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,598 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 09:15 AM

update, mowed with this thing a couple times now, checked this/checked that, replaced a few more things... fuel pump is no good... disconnect the outlet and it fizzles out/ unhook the vacuum line and reconnect it and it starts pumping again... and that's after new gaskets and diaphragms and check valves.... yeah I put a kit in the existing pump.  If this were a keeper I'd put an electric on it but it's not....

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,262 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 10:03 AM

I've been following your thread & sounds exciting. Sorry I can't help my newest GT is a 1976 & don't know much about the newer ones. Some of you that are doing these newer tractors are getting me interested. My problem, I have a mindset that they all are junk. There on Craigslist eveyday...cheap. I'm going to keep watching for the better brands to look for. It sounds like your Ariens is a good one.

Edited by Sawdust, June 16, 2017 - 10:05 AM.

• dodge trucker said thank you