• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • Member No: 86803
  • 10 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hi all, can anyone recommend a good quiet exhaust silencer/muffler for a Bolens 1054? I'd prefer a European supplier for cheaper postage but will consider all options.

Cheers

John
  • heliosuk, slf-uk and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,242 Thanks
  • 43,363 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 03:24 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I moved this to the Bolens forum as they can give you the best options.

• Bolens800uk and Dubmatix have said thanks

#3 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 137 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 04:07 PM

What type of silencer do you have at present? I would think you have the pepper pot one which are available from a company in the West Midlands, they're not brilliant at noise suppression though.

About 30 years ago when I left college I landed a contract to cut the grounds of a holiday park and had a 1054 to be told it was too noisy. Fortunately I also had a job at a local British Leyland dealership so had access to the Unipart Parts catalogue and found that an early Mini rear box had the same outlet diameter as the Wisconsin engine so adapted this.

The problem is getting as near the correct back pressure as the original design but quieting down at the same time without a loss of power which the rear box seemed to do and worked well. The holiday site was pleased as was I and it only cost a few quid and I reckon the 1054 was as quiet as many push mowers today with the 86 decibel limit.

Suggest going to a Unipart dealer and looking through the catalogue as they give (or did) dimensions of silencers available. The mini one was slightly longer than the later G series ones but had a smaller diameter.

hope this helps!

Rgds
  • LPBolens, KennyP, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,115 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 04:26 PM

Phil, great feedback as my 1050's pepperpot exhaust is too noisy too. Did you have the exhaust upright or sideways on that 1054?

John, be great to see some photos of your Bolens. There are a few of us Brits on this forum. :-)
  • slf-uk said thank you

#5 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • 10 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 05:03 PM

It is a pepperpot type  and is far too noisy!   Thanks for the tips, i'm sure there are plenty of mini types available, in fact there's a place near me that does stainless boxes based completely on the original designs and has a warehouse full of genuine silencers it uses as patterns (internally and externally).   So maybe a stainless mini copy?  I'll see how pricey they are.  I know the one for our Hillman Imp was pretty steep and that was short too.

Yes will post some pics when i get a mo.  Didn't think there'd be too many of them over here!

Edited by Dubmatix, May 12, 2017 - 05:04 PM.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#6 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • 137 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hi Andy, from memory I had it pointed at about 30 degrees from the horizontal and made a bracket to support the end but it was super quiet with no loss of power that I could detect. It was a minimal cut and shut job though.

I suppose though this has a lot to do with the Bernoulli equation about pressure and gas flow in relation to sizes. could sit down and work it all out but tend now to rely on my experience lol. If it doesn't look right ......it probably isn't.

If you come across a u shaped lift bracket and a female PTO shaft for my mower deck it would be much appreciated if you could let me know.

#7 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • 137 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 05:08 PM

It is a pepperpot type  and is far too noisy!   Thanks for the tips, i'm sure there are plenty of mini types available, in fact there's a place near me that does stainless boxes based completely on the original designs and has a warehouse full of genuine silencers it uses as patterns (internally and externally).   So maybe a stainless mini copy?  I'll see how pricey they are.  I know the one for our Hillman Imp was pretty steep and that was short too.

Yes will post some pics when i get a mo.  Didn't think there'd be too many of them over here!

The Hillman imp one was an oval one which could probably work but would look naff and I think the inlet diameter was considerably smaller.
There are some hard core bolens enthusiasts in the UK who are on here and due to costs of import stuff makes it an extremely expensive hobby.

Edited by heliosuk, May 12, 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#8 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • 137 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 05:44 PM

This is what or similar to what I'm currently using on my G14. In fact the guy I was pulling a load of logs for commented this afternoon how quiet the engine was. Conversely he remarked how noisy the transmission was which we have had previous conversations on here.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5432106054

I made a front end support for it and it works well.

Not a bad price and shipping either but does tend to detract from the originality unfortunately though does keep within the G series intent.

#9 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,115 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 02:35 AM

Phil,

Thanks for the link. Very useful. I need to find something similar to fit a Wisconsin.
  • heliosuk said thank you

#10 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • 137 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 02:53 PM

Any update on this John?

#11 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • 10 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 01:41 PM

Sorry, I'm in the middle of sorting out our forthcoming house move.  I agree on the oval imp exhaust looking a bit naff but it did remind me that i do have an imp cylinder head with (mild steel) exhaust still fitted in my garage! I'll have a look at it as i pack my selection of car parts.  I do rather like the look of that one in the link above though and making a bracket for it is no problem, thanks for that!

Do you have any pictures of it fitted?

Regards

John

#12 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • 10 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:11 PM

oh and i realise i gave an incorrect model in my first question, (apologies, new to GTs and Bolens), it's a 1055 (but is badged as G10) were they ever badged as 1055?  If not, why is there this dual numbering?  I hope that doesn't alter the exhaust fitting!

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,734 Thanks
  • 5,467 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 04:09 PM

oh and i realise i gave an incorrect model in my first question, (apologies, new to GTs and Bolens), it's a 1055 (but is badged as G10) were they ever badged as 1055?  If not, why is there this dual numbering?  I hope that doesn't alter the exhaust fitting!

The 1055 is the modal number for the G10.    

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#14 heliosuk ONLINE  

heliosuk
  • 137 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hi John,
I'll post some pictures as soon as I can but it works well. Paint quality not good so repainted with some old Sperex paint I had and made a bracket to attach the front. It's significantly quieter than the pepper pot.
I've been looking at the cherry bomb website as well. Have come to the conclusion that it's possible to match with UK currently manufactured stuff if you look hard enough.
I did come across a web site that gave a calculator about silencers and gas flows etc but can't seem to find it now

Rgds

Phil
  • KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#15 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • 10 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 04:29 PM

Also i see that as Bolens changed hands over the years, the colours and tractor styles changed a bit.  But mine says Howard Bolens on it (which i presume is HW Bolens from the original partnership....great Bolens history section on here btw) but not many Bolens seem to have that on?  Was it a quirk of G series tractors or just the G10?